Chapter 9: Brianna Grace

Adam and Kaci jumped into her Escalade and sped out of the driveway.

"Adam, drive faster! My best friend is in labor!" Kaci shouted as Adam weaved in and out of traffic to fulfill his girlfriend's wishes.

"Kaci, calm down. We're going to make it on time. Just calm down and take a few deep breaths," Adam said as he reached over and held her hand.

He needed to help her calm down. Another person freaking out at the hospital was not what Stacy needed while she was in labor.

Kaci took a few deep breaths and squeezed Adam's hand before laying back against her seat. "Thank you, Adam. I needed to calm down. I feel a little better now," Kaci said as she opened her eyes and smiled at him. 

"My pleasure, baby. Now sit back, relax, and we'll be at the hospital in no time," Adam said before he sped off the exit ramp towards the hospital.

***

Kaci and Adam sprinted into the hospital, hand-in-hand, and headed right for the front desk. The secretary looked up at them with her eyebrow raised.

***

Minutes later the couple arrived in Stacy's hospital room.

"Alright Stacy, are you ready to push?" Kaci asked as she rushed to her best friend's side. She grasped her hand, knowing Stacy would need her through her first labor.

Thirty minutes later, Brianna Grace came into the world. But, Stacy's time with her was short-lived.

"Where is she going?" Stacy asked in a panic. Kaci squeezed her hand and all four of them looked at the nurse in the room for a response.

"Your daughter is purpling, and she wasn't breathing. They have rushed her to the neonatal intensive care unit. We'll update you soon," The nurse said before she rushed off.

About two hours later, the nurse came back without the smile we were hoping for.

"Stacy and Matt?"

"Yes?" They both said as they perked up from their sad, fatigued states.

"We've run multiple tests on your daughter, and we're diagnosing her with fetal alcohol syndrome," The nurse said as she made her way to Stacy's bedside.

Stacy instantly burst into tears, and Matt looked at the nurse with confusion. "Can't she only get that if she drinks while pregnant?" He asked.

"Well yes, but according to your wife's records, she found out she was pregnant at four months. Most women drink without knowing within the first month, and it doesn't affect the baby. But, four months is a bit of time," She said as she looked through Stacy's records.

"She drank after the Maroon 5 concert when we went back to Adam's place. They were having a huge party, and we got majorly wasted. She wouldn't have done it if she had any idea about the baby. Stacy doesn't usually drink. She has maybe one glass of wine a month," Kaci said in attempts to explain the situation.

Matt looked a little defeated when Kaci revealed the news of their little party with the band, but he needed to worry about his daughter and push the party thoughts aside.

"Will Brianna be okay?" He asked as he held Stacy close. He knew his touch would soothe her in the scary situation.

"She is still having some breathing issues, so we'll have to keep her over night. She is improving every moment, though. She's a strong baby girl," The nurse said before retreating into the hall.

Zac rolled in about five minutes later.

"Has the little girl arrived yet?" He asked as he set down a bouquet of pink balloons.

Kaci whipped her head around in shock at the sound of his voice, and she felt Adam's grip tighten around her waist. Oddly enough, she was soothed by his protective nature.

"She's in the intensive care unit. I drank while I was pregnant, and now she's having breathing issues," Stacy said in a shaky voice. Matt wrapped his arms tighter around her in an attempt to calm her down and stop her tears.

Four months had passed since Kaci had ended things with Zac, and she thought she was done with him for good. She had guessed wrong.

"Hey Kaci. Adam," Zac said. He had smiled at me but that smile faded when he set his eyes on Adam. Any chance Zac thought he still had, vanished with a dagger look from Adam.

"Hey Zac," Kaci said with a shy smile. She wanted out of this awkward situation as soon as possible.

"Matt, Adam, Zac, could you go get us girls food? We're starved, and I want to have a few minutes alone with my bestie," Stacy said as if answering Kaci's prayers.

Matt walked out with Zac after kissing Stacy's head, and Kaci pecked Adam's lips with a small warning.

"Behave. You're in a public place," Kaci said before she pecked his lips one last time before his departure into the hall.

As soon as the boys walked out, Stacy's tears began flowing down her cheeks again. Kaci sat on the edge of the bed and pulled Stacy into her arms.

"Oh Kaci, what have I done? I hurt my poor baby girl because I saw missing my period as a blessing from God. I thought I was just thrown off from all the stress at work. I shouldn't have been so naïve," She said as she cried into Kaci's chest.

"Stace, it's not your fault. Unless you took a test, you had no way of knowing. You were living your life and that's nothing to be upset about. She'll recover. She's in amazing hands. Don't beat yourself up about it." Kaci said as she kissed her best friend's head in her best attempt to console her.

Just as Stacy calmed down, Kaci's phone chimed. The message was from Matt.

Kaci, you need to get to mine and Stace's house now. Adam and Zac just got in a fight!