Chapter 20: Another Baby {Editing}

"What?" I said as I sat up in shock. "I want another baby Kaci." He said. "Why? I mean I want more kids too, but now?" I said. "I love Autumn so much, but I want her to have a sibling." He said. "Eventually she will, but now? She's 6 months old Adam. Are you prepared to take care of a newborn and Autumn who would be a 15 month old?" I asked him. "I'm ready if you are, but if you aren't, it's ok. I can wait." He said. "You really want another child?" I said. He pulled me to his chest, so that our faces were only centimeters apart. "I really do," He said before he kissed me. 

Adam's POV 

3 months after I told Kaci that I wanted more kids, she set up an appointment with her doctor because she hadn't gotten her period and she wanted to know if she was pregnant.

I woke up facing Kaci. She was so adorable when she was sleeping. She had a smile on her face and she looked so peaceful. I watched her eyes slowly flutter open. "Good morning beautiful," I said. "Good morning handsome," She said before she placed a quick kiss on my lips. "Are you excited!" She exclaimed. "Of course babe," I said as I smiled at her excitement. "Just think, our second child could be growing in me as we speak!" She exclaimed as she climbed out of bed. 

An hour later we both got ready and put Autumn in the car. When we arrived at the doctor, I took Autumn out of the car in her carrier and held onto Kaci's hand. The  receptionist led us to a room and told us that Dr. Robins would be in soon. Kaci sat on the table and looked at the posters on the walls.

Dr. Robins came in 5 minutes later. "Hi Kaci, hi Adam." She said. "Hi Dr. Robins," Kaci said with a huge smile plastered on her face. "So you came here today because you think you're pregnant?" Dr. Robins asked as she pulled the ultrasound machine over to Kaci. "Yes ma'am," Kaci said. Kaci laid down on the table and Dr. Robins put the gel on her stomach. 

10 minutes later, Dr. Robins finally spoke. "I'm sorry Kaci, you're not pregnant." She said. I watched tears roll down Kaci's cheek. "It wasn't a miscarriage was it?" She asked. "No, you weren't pregnant to begin with," Dr. Robins said. "Oh ok," Kaci said. "Mr. Levine, can I speak to you for a moment?" Dr. Robins asked. "Sure," I said. I kissed Kaci's forehead and walked out of the room with Dr. Robins. 

"Mr. Levine, she's not ovulating," Dr. Robins said. "What does that mean?" I said. "She's not making eggs, which is why she hasn't had her period. How long has it been since her last period?" She asked. "Uh about 3 months, I'm pretty sure." I said. "I'm worried about your wife's fertility." She said. "You think she might not be able to have any more kids?" I asked her. "I'm going to have to run some tests, but I'm skeptical." She said. My heart was broken. I couldn't have Kaci trying to kill herself again. This was going to break her. "Could you let me tell her?" I asked. "Of course." She said.

We walked back into the room and Dr. Robins ran some tests. After the tests, we got back in the car and drove home.

I put Autumn down for her nap and took Kaci into our room. Kaci pushed me against the wall and started to kiss me. I pushed her away. "Don't you want that baby, sweetie?" She asked as she seductively moved her hand down my chest. It was getting more difficult to resist her, but I had to tell her. "Kaci, baby, sit down." I said. "What is it baby?" She asked as she sat on my lap. 

"Dr. Robins told me that you haven't been ovulating. You haven't been producing eggs, so you can't get pregnant." I said trying to let her down carefully. "So what?" She said. "Babe, I don't think you get it." I said. 

"Dr. Robins thinks you might not be able to have any more kids." I said.