Another Coffee Trip

Sally: We need to have a coffee date. I have something to tell you. Diamond's in ten min?

Lacey: Sure. I have some big news. Can't wait!💕

***

"So. What's your news?" I ask, stirring my latte. I know that my news is big, but I want to give Lacey a chance to tell me the news that she's been so excited about.

"Well..." She leaves me hanging in suspense for a few seconds. "I have a serious boyfriend. We've hung out a few times. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you, but I wanted to make sure that he was a nice guy."

I squealed. "Who is he? Have I met him?"

"His name is Brandon. He's twenty four, and you haven't met him. I invited him to my birthday picnic if that's okay?" Lacey ended in a question.

"Of course. I can't wait to meet him," I said truthfully. I was glad that Lacey had gotten over Carson and moved on.

"Here, I have a picture," Lacey says, pulling a small photo from her purse. The picture is of Lacey and a tall man with brown hair, sitting on the beach. Lacey is in the middle of laughing, and the man, Brandon, is looking at her with obvious love showing on his face.

"You guys are too cute together. I like him already," I confessed, smiling.

Lacey pocketed the picture, beaming. "He's just so sweet and nice. He honestly seems to care about me. I never had that with Carson."

Insight. It sounds like the perfect relationship. Mine was altogether hard, although I suppose that dating a god had some perks. "That sounds nice," I confess.

"It is," she says, taking a large sip out of her mocha. "I feel like I'm boring you with all of this talk about me. What's new in your life?"

"Oh, well, I actually have some big news. I totally forgot because I was listening to you talk about your perfect boyfriend," I confessed. And I really had forgotten myself in her normal life.

"Like you don't have one, too," Lacey muttered under her breath. I laughed, and she blushed because she didn't mean for me to hear that.

"But anyways.. The news I have to tell you is..." I said slowly, savoring her look of anticipation.

"Keep me in suspense any longer, and I might explode," she warned.

I continued, "I just might. The truth is... I'm pregnant."

Lacey's face turned to a mask of surprise. She looked down at my stomach, as if she would be able to see a baby bump so soon. "Are you serious?" she asked.

I nodded. Lacey squealed. "Oh my gosh. You're telling the truth. A tiny you and Don, mixed together. It is Don's, right?"

"Of course it's Don's," I asserted.

Lacey still looked like she was in shock. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" she cried.

"I had to tell Don first. You were the second person I went to. I only found out yesterday," I told her. She was the one who inadvertently helped me figure it out.

Lacey grabbed my hand in a sisterly gesture and smiled genuinely at me. "I am so happy for you. You and Don will be the best parents there ever was. And don't worry. I'm here for you."