CHAPTER 14

I walked into school and to my locker in a sour mood. Standing there, leaning against my locker was Mia. A back hoodie on, the hood up over her face. Black sun glasses were on her face. "Hiding from the paparazzi that took the photo of you Ruby?" I spat angrily. She didn't really respond, only grabbed my wrist and pulled me off towards the boys bathroom. There was a guy pissing, and he jumped and yelped, but Mia only shouted, "Out!" and he pulled up his pants and almost ran.

I stared at her. "What the hell?" I shout. But she only puts her hood down and removes the sun glasses. She's got a black eye and a cut above her right eye. I gasped, but then she showed me her neck, bruised shaped like fingers were there, wrapping around her neck. I stepped towards her, but she backed away. "Casey, don't break up with me. Honestly, all of this was for you. When I called you, I was home alone. Someone broke into my house. Told me if I didn't stay away from you, I'd get hurt. I told then to fuck off, and they decided try to fuck something," I frowned, stepping close to her. "What?" She sighed. "It wasn't concentric, that's for sure." My eyes immediately filled with tears. "No," She nodded. "Yeah. But don't worry. It wasn't so bad. He gave up after I almost passed out-" I hugged her tightly. I couldn't let her finish what she was saying. that would make it so much worse. "It was Ruby." She shook her head. "Ruby doesn't have a dick." I let out a sob. "No, but she's doing this. She wants me, and I'm being selfish because I don't want her."

I couldn't fucking believe she did that. She is so going to fucking pay. "Do you know who did it?" I asked. She shook her head. "No, he was wearing a mask, and I was a little distracted by the fact that his dick was out." I shook my head. "Are you going to break up with me or not?" She asked me. "No. I can't break up with you. I won't ever break up with you."

After walking out of the boys bathroom, we went to first period, where Ruby sat glaring. Mia looked slightly uncomfortable and stared at the front of the class the whole time. When it ended, she walked ahead of me, with her hood over her head.

Someone grabbed my arm and yanked me back into the classroom. It was a guy I'd never talked to before. I pulled away from him. "So...did she tell you? About our little meet up last night?" I frowned, but realized what he was talking about and slapped him, but he took my hand and twisted it behind my back. "Just give up. Ruby is relentless. She won't stop." I struggled against his strength. Where the hell was the teacher?

"She sent a sick perverted assfuck to do her dirty work?" I spat. He gripped me tighter. "Just give in. I don't want to do it. I honestly don't." I frowned again. "Do what?" He sighed. "Give in." I tried pulling away from him again. "Over my dead body." He let go of me and scratched the back of his neck. "Well, you've made your bed. Now you have to lie in it." I ran out of the room. I ran down the hall and around the corner. By now the hall was empty, so I rested against the wall, sliding down into a sitting position with my legs under my chin.

What could he mean by that? He didn't want to do what?

"Are you honestly that pathetic?" I looked up. Ruby, in all her glory. She was standing in front of one of the football players. "Fuck you," I grumbled. "Ouch." She muttered. She kneeled down and leaned in towards me. "Look, no hard feelings when this ends, okay? Because it ends roughly. Badly. Someone is going to get hurt. Physically. So I'm asking you now. Do you want to be with me? Or do you want to be alone?" I did the only logical thing I could think of. I spat in her face. She smiled ruefully and wiped my spit from her face with her hands. "Oh, so that's how you want to play it." I stood and pointed my finger at her. "I don't want to play at all, bitch. I can't fucking stand you, much less date you. Leave us alone, I will go to the police." She laughed. "And tell them what? You love two girls at once and your girlfriend was beat up? She gets fucking hit by her dad daily. All their going to do is arrest him. You've taken care of everything that's happened to you. I doubt you would bring up your broken toe. Or the cutting. You've done it to yourself."

I couldn't even say anything. She was right of course. I couldn't say anything about Mia. She'd hate me for putting her dad in jail. I stared at her. She looked as smug as ever. And I wanted to rip out her throat. I wanted to hurt her. And that wasn't normal, I usually wouldn't want to physically hurt people, but she was ruining everything.  

***

"So, the operation will take place on the 4th of May." I gulped. Shit, that was like three months away. My mom's hand squeezed my leg. She was smiling at me. I offered a shaky smile and gulped again.

I wasn't ready. It was going to be one hell of an operation. It was going to be life changing. I'd wake up as a fucking girl. no more penis, no more wishing. I'd have everything I'd ever wanted.

"You'll start taking hormones after the operation, to help with leveling out estrogen, to keep the change going."

"What sort of hormones?" I asked him. He smiled and told me. "They are similar to the ones women take when going through menopause. It's just for lower estrogen levels. Nothing scary." I nodded.

Menopause? Shit.

When the doctor left the room, my mom looked at me. "Are you okay? I don't want this becoming too much for you." I smiled. "Mom this is what I dreamed about when I was little. It's finally happening." She smiled widely.

My mom seemed different since I caught her and dad arguing. almost like she was okay with dad again. He'd been gone for only three days. "Are you and dad getting a divorce?" I asked. Her smiled faultered. "Oh, hunny...I don't want to talk about him to you." I shook my head. "Mom, I'm not a child. It's obvious that you guys are...falling apart. Dads an idiot." The doctor came back in and started talking to my mom about signing papers.

The car ride was silent, save for the radio. But I was okay with it, I was texting Chris. He was curious about Mia and I. He wanted to know if I was serious about her. And even though it weirded me out to even think about these questions, I answered them to the best of my abilities.

When I entered the house, I throw my myself in a chair at the dining room table and put my head down. What was I going to do about Mia? What was I going to fucking do? A part of me wanted to call her right now, and another wanted me to turn and run. But that was probably just the nerves from me realizing I was falling for her.

I jumped when my phone rang right next to my ear. I grumbled and answered it. "Hello, Casey." I frowned. "Ruby?" There was an impatient groan on the other line. "Yes genius, it's Ruby." She sounded annoyed, but it really should be me who's annoyed. "Why do you have to be so creepy and call me with and unavailable number? It's pretty dramatic."

"Shut up!" She growled into the phone. "I want you to know something." She waited, obviously wanting a reply. But I didn't reply. And she went on. "I want you to know that if you don't surrender by tomorrow, you'll royally fuck everything up for yourself."

"Well I'm not surrendering, you bitch." She clicked her tongue. "Perpare yourself." The line went dead. She was just fucking with me. She wouldn't do anything. She wouldn't. She wasn't that crazy.

I don't think.