CHAPTER 5

I'd asked Mia to hang. She'd said yes immediately over the phone. And I'd smiled.

I stood in front of my closet, debating on what to wear. What was acceptable for 'hanging'. I'll admit, it was Travis' idea to ask her to 'hang'. He and Ethan had giggled when I asked her and I felt like a dork until she'd said yes. We were going to see a movie. Ethan wasn't too on board with that idea. He said it was a waste of time, until Travis said we'd most likely be making out in the back. He'd agreed then. I loved those two idiots.

I sighed fingering through the many dresses and a couple pairs of leather pants in my closet. There was a knock on the door. "Come in!" I shouted. My mom entered. "I just got off the phone with an implant specialist. She wants to meet with you about sizing and the operation." I nodded smiling. I can't believe this was happening to me. " can I... can I help you get ready for your date?" I spun around. "You--you want to help?" She nodded. "I could curl your hair." I nodded vigorously. "I'd love that." She smiled and closed the door, sitting on the bed. "It's a nice room," she mused. I turned to her again from my closet. "You've been in here a ton of times mom." She nodded and shrugged. "Not really. I never looked. At your stuff."

I turned back to the clothes and came up with a sleevless floral print sundress with a collar and a thin brown braided belt. I paired it with brown boots and a feather earing. I'd just keep my diamond stud in one ear. I then turned on my curling iron and went into the bathroom to change. When I emerged, my mom was ready for me with hairspray.

she sectioned my hair and curled it in ringlets. She smiled the whole while, talking about future shopping trips we could take. When she was done, she just about begged to do my makeup, I didn't dare stop her, too happy she accepted me to mind.

I was just so happy she wanted to do this stuff for me. I was happy she hugged me on my way out of the door. And I'm happy she blew a kiss from the door when I got in the car.

"You look amazing," Mia commented. I looked at what she was wearing. Demin high rise shorts and a black tank top with a tribal print design on the front. She had black faded combat boots on, and her long brown hair was crimped. She was gorgeous. Every piece of her. "So do you." I muttered, laughing as she thanked me. The thing I liked was it wasn't awkward.

It had been awakward with Ruby on almost every date. It had been sexual tension. It had been horrible. With Mia, we bonded. Over nervous laughter, music, and my sex change. When we arrived, we argued over who would buy what and why. Then when we entered the movie, the first thing gone was the food. Then the lip gloss coating both of our eager lips. Then we held hands and joked about things that weren't even funny but we still laughed.

After the movie, neither of us wanted the date to end, so we drove to a deserted field and made out of the hood of her car. As we lay there staring at the stars, I turned to look at her. "I dont ever want this to end." She giggled. "You've said that." I shrugged. "I dont care. I mean it." She wrapped her arms around me and sighed contently. "To be honest, I wasn't expecting this." I frowned. "Expecting what?" She was quiet for a while. I poked her side and she smiled before responding. "I wasn't expecting to feel like all my problems are stupid and distant when I'm with you." She sat up leaving me the warm breeze as her arms left my body.

"You can talk to me about them, Mia. I mean, it's not speak or forever hold your peace, but I'll listen whenever you want to talk." I sat up too. "It's nothing too rash. I suppose. But...my parent don't approve of the fact that I like girls." I frowned. "But it's getting worse. My dads a bit abusive-"

"He hits you?" I asked, a bit shocked. She looked back at me sheepishly. "Not in obvious places. And not too hard or anything. Just enough to...hurt." Tears threatened to fall. "Mia..." I whispered. My hand wrapped around hers. Her eyes were full of pain and unshed tears. "Mia," I couldn't stop myself from uttering her sweet name again. She was so sweet. So caring. And she was abused?

She started shaking, I noticed a tear falling. I didn't think much, only pulled her into a bear hug and kissed her hair. There was nothing to say. I could only hold her as she cried. I could only rock back and forth as she sobbed. And when she was done, I kissed away her tears. She smiled sadly at me.

"Did I ruin the date yet?" I laughed. "No. Of course not." She laughed too, wiping her eyes as more tears fell. Then she looked at me, her big cartoon eyes holding so much hurt and so much sorrow. "Thank you for the best date ever." I smiled at her. "No, thank you. It wouldn't have been so great without you." She laughed again. I think it was a force of habit. To laugh when she was sad. And that was enough to make me want to hold her again. "I just...have to go back to that house. And I have to face him. And my mom. I don't want to." I swallowed the erge to cry.

"You're always welcome at my place. Honestly, my parents are rarely ever home so you can come over whenever. I don't want you going back to that house if they hit you." She smiled. "I think I'll be taking you up on that offer far too often." I shrugged. "We should get back." I nodded, sliding off of the hood of the car, taking her hands, helping her down too. She kissed me then. Hard. And my head spun and my lips ached for her to come back when she pulled away.  

*** 

All too soon we were back at my house and she was kissing me goodnight. When we seperated enough to whisper goodbye to each other shyly, I couldn't help but feel the butterflies, even after she had gotten back into her car and blew a kiss at me.

Once I'd entered the house I was bombarded with questions. My mom was worried and my brother and his lover were grinning ear to ear and I put a finger over my lips. "A good girl never kisses and tells." I muttered before heading up the stairs, leaving in a whirlwind of;

'She kissed you?'

'How many times?'

'Ohmigod'

I'd never hear the end of it in the morning, but I didn't mind. Once in my room I threw myself down on my queen sized bed and sighed contently. I liked her a lot. Too much.

What she told me had my heart torn. It made breathing hard. As if it were happening to me. And then I wanted our promise to each other to stop cutting actually mean something to her. Not just to get me to stop, but her too. I wanted her to keep her promise, no matter what.

She definately had it worse than me. She had it so fucking hard and I bitched about having a dick? I'm sure she'd take having a dick over getting abused anyday. Hell, I knew I would. I'd suck it up right now if that were my problem.

Sighing and pulling myself out of my thoughts, I undressed and slid into bed with only my bra and underwear after brushing my teeth and taking my medicine. I didn't want to eat dinner and I didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't want to give anyone the chance to ruin a perfect day.