Chapter 2

I walked over to my massive closet and pulled out my pink sweater with the 6 rectangular cut outs that went down from my shoulders to halfway between my elbow. I slid on a pair of super light wash jeggings from Hollister and then my short beige Ugg boots. Some shimmer on my eye lids and a swipe of my mascara wand and I was ready to go. I picked up the keys on my dresser and something fell from underneath it. The white envelope. I totally forgot! I picked it up and gently put it into my navy blue Marc bag with the brown handles. I’ll open it at Holly’s.

                “Bye!” I yelled out the door.

                “Call us when you get there.”

                I slowly walked to the garage, and unlocked the garage door with the code programmed in. I heard the satisfied beep when I got it right. I flipped the light switch and shut my eyes as I heard the lights stir on. I held my breath and squinted my eyes.

                I strutted over to the sleek black car and ran my hands over it. They glided over it from the freshness of it. I unlocked it and opened up the door. The leather seats were cream colored. Okay before I bore you with all the details of the car, let’s just skip ahead and say it’s pretty.

                I pressed the button and the car silently roared to life. The garage door opened behind me and I pulled out.

                10 minutes later I arrived at Holly’s house. Our homes are relatively the same size because our dads were both photographers and or mums stayed at home. Only difference between us was that she had a little brother, Adam. I walked right into their home, we were basically family, and why would I need to knock?

                “In here, Madi!” Holly called. I followed the sound of her voice into the family room. She was sitting wrapped up in her blanket sipping a cup of hot coco. The whole room smelled like it. I breathed in to inhale the sweet smell.

                “Holly! Get your butt up, we’re going to Katie’s Christmas gathering!” Holly stood up and proved me wrong. She was already dressed in a black Brandy Melville dress with black tights and black flats. Her blonde hair was in a half-up, half-down and tied with a black ribbon. Just like Holly to dress like she was going to a funeral on Christmas day. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time. 11:37. Party started at 12:00. I complimented her outfit and then went to go find her parents.

                “Madisen! You look gorgeous, as usual.” Mrs. Fitzgerald complimented me as I walked into the kitchen.

                “As do you, Mrs. Fitzgerald! I love what you’re doing with your hair.” I hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. “Where’s Mr. Fitzgerald?” I asked.

                “Right, here love.” He emerged from the door and shook his hands. He walked over to wear I was standing. He had streaks of black all over his face. “I’m working on that damn motorcycle again. It just won’t fix. I might have to take it to the mechanic, but nothing is open today! And me and the boys are going on a motorcycle ride to…”

                “Alright, dear, she doesn’t care. Madisen and Holly were just on their way out to Katie’s.” Holly’s mom saved me from replying to her husband’s story. I laughed.

                “See you all soon.” I blew a kiss behind me and walked back to Holly. She was standing by the front door putting her coat on.

                “Ready?” She asked, while pulling her hair out from underneath the coat.

                “You got it.” I answered and pulled her front door open.

                The party was full of 18 year old drinking beer, wine and taking swigs from flasks. Mistletoe was hung all around the room and the Christmas tree was decorated extravagantly with ornaments and lights. I grabbed holly’s hand walked around the room and greeted all our friends. I think I had said hello to everyone in the room, so I took a seat on the couch. I pulled out my phone and saw that I had a text.

                Mum: Get there safe?

I rolled my eyes.

                Me: Yes, mum.

I put my phone back in my pocket.

                “Okay! Photo time!” Katie yelled. The twenty or so people in the room lined up against the wall. You were supposed to grab your significant other to get a photo under the mistletoe. Me and Holly were both boyfriend-less so we grabbed each other and laughed like it was inside joke how single we were. I pulled Holly to the front of the line and cut everyone ahead of us. I handed the photographer my phone and he looked at me funny.

                “I have a nice camera here, if you want me to take them on it?” I shook my head.

I giggled and shoved my phone in his hands, then turned to follow Holly over to the set up background with mistletoe. Holly smiled at the camera and I kissed her cheek. The next picture, we both gave each other a hug. Next Holly picked me up and was holding me wedding style in her arms, we both tipped our heads back in laughter. I took my phone back from the annoyed photographer and kissed his cheek. “Thank you SO much.” I told him. This sent me into a fit of giggles and I almost fell over. Someone strong hands helped me from completely toppling over.