The Hospital Miracle

Chapter 6 ~ The Hospital Miracle

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"She's in a coma, but it should wear off in a few hours.."

Voices. Muffled voices in my head. One of them was Robert's, I could tell by the deep noises coming out of his mouth. The other voice was a woman's. Was it my mom's? I never knew what her voice sounded like.. My Dad would tell me of the story of how she was diagnosed with cancer while she was pregnant with me and had a choice: To save herself or To save Me. Well, I think we all know what choice we chose..

Was it one of my maids? Their voices were usually soft and sincere. But don't let that fool you and mask their true selves. I had to bribe them with money to keep the secrets around the house from getting to my Dad. Dad.. Where is he? Still in Arizona, perhaps? Or would he come back to LA and meet me at the hospital?

"Kate.."

Robert's voice. What is he doing in my room?

I opened my eyes and found myself sitting in a chair next to Robert. This was definitely not my room. Based on the white walls, sharp tools, and the heart monitor, it was probably a hospital room. But why are we in the hospital.. Did someone get hurt?

Robert's back was facing towards me, but I could tell he didn't look so good. His black leather jacket was wet and stained with blood. His hair was clinging onto his head due to the pouring rain outside. His shoes were plagued with mud. His pants were ripped and exposing a scratch on his knee. His knuckles had purple bruises on them. Is this why we're at the hospital?

"Robert, what happened?" I asked.

No answer. Still giving me the cold shoulder, I see..

"Kaitlin, wake up please.." He sniffled and took a deep breath.

"Robert, what's wrong? I'm right here."

I placed my hand on his shoulder, but it went right through him. Like, my hand just went through his body. I pulled my hand back, rubbing my arm.

What the..? That was weird.

I looked at my arms, checking if they were broken or something, but they were awfully white. Probably as white as the walls in this hospital. The color was drained out of them as my limp, pale arms folded hands. I walked up to the little sink in the room to wash my hands. Then, I washed my face with a bit of water to wake myself up a bit more. When I removed my hands from my face and looked in the mirror, my face was pale too.

I shrieked and fell down, scooting away from the mirror. From a far distance, I glanced into the mirror again. It was like there was a white aura around me, encasing me to whiteness. I looked at the heart monitor near the hospital bed.. Every time there was a paused heartbeat, more color would fade away from my cheeks leaving me to become more white.

I turned around as a nurse came into the room and walked right through me to get to the hospital bed. I held my stomach. She just walked right through me.

Is this a dream? Am I dead? Was I a ghost?

I walked up to Robert who looked even worse than I thought. His eyes were streaming with silent tears. His scarred lip was quivering as he repeated my name. He had a black eye and red mark on his cheek.

He was holding the hands of a girl in the hospital bed. I didn't think this was possible, but she looked worse. Her skin was as pale as mine, her lips were red like the color of blood.. Not to mention that her clothes were also stained with dried up blood but her hair was wet and messy, spreading around everywhere. She looked so familiar.. Is that me? My body..