Rewind

The sheets were a chocolate brown. They were cool against Junior's neck and the tips of his fingers. He opened his eyes the rest of the way.

"This set will break into pieces –"

Laughter.

•••

Nayeon swept another tear from her eye. She held Junior's limp hand in her own. His hands were cold, but she could feel a steady pulse from the base of his wrist.

She checked the heart monitor for the fifth time in ten minutes. It still beat at 40 bpm - a little low, but the doctors weren't too concerned... yet - Last time they checked, his blood sugars were low. But that was typical of comatose patients.

Her eyes moved to the ventilator that was suctioned over her love's mouth and nose. His eyes were closed calmly. But if he was dreaming, Nayeon couldn't tell.

•••

He had to be dreaming. But it all seemed so real!

The cluttered room. The couch. The bird cage. The bed. The bookshelves.

Mark still wore his long gold sweater and Yugyeom his grey. Jackson was filming everyone and they all looked so happy.

But there was one thing off. Junior couldn't move, but to sit up and just stare. Despite the sun, he felt cold and his heart beat gradually as if reluctantly awaiting some big event.

•••

The door opened.

Nayeon looked up. "Sana. Hi."

Sana gently closed the door behind her. "Have you been crying?" She asked of her friend.

Nayeon smiled vaguely. "Ne. I can't seem to stop."

Sana nodded. "I'm surprised I've even been able to stop. I have to put on a stable, confident look for Kunpimook. I can't let him see me crumble."

Kunpimook. Whenever Sana talked about her boyfriend she always used his given name. He never knew that, of course. But when Sana used that name she felt she was respecting him in a way she couldn't quite explain.

Nayeon nodded. She began to rub her thumb and forefinger on the soft spot between Junior's thumb and forefinger. It had become a habit of hers. "But you're fortunate to have him wholly with you."

"I know." Sana replied quietly. She suddenly felt embarrassed for having shared about her conscious boyfriend to her friend who hadn't been able to have a conversation with her's for eight days. "How is he?" She added.

Nayeon shrugged. "No better than he was three days ago, but no worse."

Sana approached Nayeon and ran a hand along her back. "Do they know what the side effects will be when he wakes?"

Nayeon shook her head. "His oxygen was cut off in the impact of the wreck. They warned me there may be –" she stopped and just leaned her head back on Sana's torso. "– you know – damage." She tapped a hand to her temple in a silent explanation.

•••

Jackson filmed as Youngjae relaxed on the couch at the opposite wall. "Ey, wassup?!" He stood to get a better angle of his dongsaeng.

Youngjae flashed a peace sign on each hand and whooped excitedly at the camera.

To his left, the maknaes dorked around playing darts.

The memory faded.

•••

Sana put a hand out to Nayeon. "Unnie, let's take a walk to clear our heads."