Chapter 15

I stared over the cliff edge where Cheyenne and I would always go when we were ten.  Our parents didn't know about it and we weren't about to tell them.  It was the most dangerous place in the pack territory.

I looked down into the dark water that was about 1000 feet below me.  One misstep or one unexpected gust of wind would take me down there.  I felt a hand being placed on my shoulder and turned around.

"Don't do this." Cheyenne whispered.

I thought she was just in my imagination, but I replied, "I wasn't going to jump."

"You were thinking about it." She said.

Before I had time to say anything, she walked back a few steps and ran straight off the edge of the cliff.

"Cheyenne!" I shouted, sitting up.  I was in Matthew's bed and the sun was shining through the window.

I thought about the dream for a few minutes.  It seemed so real.  I got up and went to the bathroom to wash my face.  I glared into the mirror when I looked at the mark on my neck.

"Don't be ,ad at him," I heard a voice say from behind me, "it wasn't his fault."

I turned around and saw Cheyenne leaning on the door frame.  I shook my head.  I must be going crazy.  I looked again and she was gone.

I still heard her voice, "I'm the one who fought so weakly."

"You shouldn't have had to fight at all!" I growled.

"Who are you talking to?" Matthew slowly came in the bathroom.

I was gong to snap at him, but I didn't feel like fighting right now, "I keep hallucinating and seeing Cheyenne."

"It might be because today is her funeral." He said.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that." I quickly went back to the bedroom to get ready.  It had been about a week since Cheyenne's death.

* * *

I stared out the window as we drove to the church in silence.  I was still really mad at Matthew for making Cheyenne fight, so I didn't want to talk to him yet.

When we got there, I didn't really pay attention during the speech.  Once everyone started leaving, I went up to the front and stood by the coffin.  I felt a tear drip down my face as I stared at her lifeless body.  I whimpered when a bunch of memories from our childhood came back.

Memories from breaking into the candy drawer to sitting on that cliff edge watching the sunset over the water.  I felt mare tears escape my eyes.

"I'll miss you, Chey." I used the nickname I gave her when we were seven.

I thought I saw her eyes open and her say, "I'll miss you too, Cat." but when I shook my head, they were closed again.

I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I turned to see my mom, "We should go." she murmured.

I walked out with her, not looking back because I knew it would make me even more sad.