Chapter 6

I opened my eyes to see the sun had gone down.  I looked around the room wondering where I was, then I remembered everything.  I looked down at Matthew, who was still asleep.

"I hope he's okay." My cat whispered.

I didn't say anything because I didn't know how I felt.  I was shaken from my thoughts as the door opened and the doctor walked in.  I knew he needed space, so I slowly got up and, after one last glance at my mate, walked out of the room.  I left the hospital and made my way down the dark, quiet streets to my parents' house.  I made it half the way there something hit me in the back of the head and everything went black.

* * *

I woke up in a dark room on a bed.  My hands were tied behind me and my feet were tied together, so I couldn't try to run.  I tried calling for help, but there was something covering my mouth.  The light turned on and I was shocked to see David standing there.

"I've been waiting for you to wake up." He growled.

"Let me take over." My cat said, "I can get us out of here."

"Don't even think about it." He growled, as if he had heard what my cat said, "Your cat can't get through the traps I put out."

He came over to me and took off the thing covering my mouth, "Why are you doing this?" my voice was shaky.

"Why?" He snapped, "Why do you think I stand up to Zoe for you?  Why do you think I help you carry your books sometimes?" when I didn't say anything, he said, "Because I love you!"

"This isn't how you show someone you love them." I muttered.

"Then Cheyenne tells me you found your mate!" He added.

I looked over at the window and saw it was half open, "I could get us through there." my cat said.

"It's a far drop," I pointed out, "I don't want you getting hurt."

"I'll be fine." She assured me, then added, "I'm sure it's not as bad as what Matthew does to you."

I murmured agreement as I let her take over.  As soon as I changed form, my cat raced for the window and barely made it out before David tried to grab her tail.  I heard him shouting at us as my cat raced to my parents' house.  I didn't feel like talking to anyone, so my cat ran straight to my old bedroom and curled up on the bed to go to sleep.

* * *

The next morning after changing back to my human form, I quickly got dressed and went downstairs.  I almost made it down the stairs before I heard Cheyenne.

"Cat!" She raced over and hugged me as if I'd been gone for years.

Before I could say anything, the front door flew open and David was standing there, "Catherine, get over here now!"

"What do you think you're doing?" Cheyenne demanded.

"Getting what's mine." He growled as he grabbed my arm and started pulling me out of the house.

I pulled my arm away from him, "You're not even my mate!" I hissed.

He grinned, "But aren't you wondering who attacked your precious little mate when he was on border patrol?"