"Nervous?"

"Y..You wish." I said, jutting my chin out. However, my voice came out as a squeak, ruining the effect.

His lips twitched in amusement, "Don't deny it, Ki. But just don't let your fear dampen your spirit." His hands held mine comfortingly as I he stepped closer to me. My hands wound around his, feeling the warmth that radiated from him.

"I won't let you down," I said, giving him a small smile.

"I know, you won't. My Kiara's a fighter."

My lips curved into a teasing smile and nervousness faded for a moment, "My Kiara, Ash?"

His cheeks tinged a shade of red as he leaned forward to plant a lingering kiss on my forehead.

Heat shot up within me and I turned the same shade as him, "But I like it," I admitted softly.

He withdrew slowly, but brown eyes kept me rooted. "I like it too." His face held concern for me and yet he was confident about me too. It was a mixture of both.

My smile lasted until my gaze fell on Claire. She was watching me or rather scrutinizing the distance between us.

"Is Claire the person, I'll be competing against?" I asked him, hesitantly.

His lips pressed into a grim line, "Yes. But I've chosen Dylan too. They're the best in our pack. They've been training for this since quite sometime." He must have seen the worry in my eyes, because he added hastily, "But don't let that intimidate you. You are nothing less."

I shot him a small smile as he squeezed my hand. It sent a wave of flutters in my stomach but I tried to keep the giddy smile from showing. "Thanks Ash." I told him sincerely.

It was not just gratitude for his support now, it was for everything he had done. Everything, none of which, I'll ever be able to repay.

"Anything for you," was all he said.

And those three words were all I wanted to hear.

* * *

Dylan, Claire and I readied ourselves as the countdown began. We were already in our wolf forms and were crouched for take off.

Zara seemed nervous yet determined. My limbs shook a little, but I steadied myself with an effort.

Next to me, Claire's brown wolf was focused on the track. She wasn't paying attention to anybody or anything. For a moment, I could almost hear what was running in her head, "Do or die."
The determination on her face was obvious.

And honestly, that looked intimidating.

On the other side, Dylan was readying himself. I saw him send Bella, his mate a reassuring smile. Nora was next to her mother, cheering for us. "Go Daddy go! Go Kiara go!" A soft smile made its way to our faces as we watched her excitement.

Then he glanced in my direction. "We'll do our best." He said through the mindlink.

I shot him a determined look. "We will."

Three. . .

Our paws dug into the ground and our eyes zeroed on the track.

Two. . .

I let out a deep breath, calming my erratic heartbeat.

You can do this. I chanted over and over again while my eyes never left the track. Nothing's impossible.

One. . .

Claire and Dylan took off at lightning speed, leaving a trail of dust behind them. I watched in awe as they raced neck to neck against each other. Within seconds they had crossed a considerable distance.