22| Receptions and Rethoughts ✔️

***
That feeling of regret
when time passes
and you realize you let
the wrong person go.

***

K I A R A

I was pacing about my room nervous and worried.

Today was the day. The great day I would officially be an adult, the day I would be finally welcomed into the pack.

I had written a letter to my mother a few days ago, telling her about my new home, my meeting with the Moon Goddess and my strange gifts. The letter would probably reach her today and I hoped she would be happy with the decision I had taken.

"It will all go well." Bella reassured me as she stepped into my room with the gown I was supposed to wear for the ceremony.

I tried not to appear too constipated as she approached.

"I hope so too." I inhale deeply, trying to settle my overwrought nerves.

I had been nervous and panicky since the past hour. Zara had been trying her best to reassure me too, but to no avail. Over the last few days, I had trained everyday. I had been preparing myself both physically and mentally. Yet, as the moment drew close, I was still jittery.

"Lets get you dressed now. The ceremony starts in a while. You must look your best today." She said.

I nodded, standing up.

There was dead silence as got she helped me get ready. In fact I was so tense, that I kept my eyes averted from the mirror most of the time. I didn't have the courage to look my reflection, fearing it would me freak out.

"You can look now." Bella said after an hour and I could figure the amusement in her voice.

I never wore make up or gowns and was totally new to all this. I'd choose jeans over gowns any day, if it were up to me.

Slowly, opened my eyes and hesitantly faced the mirror.

I blinked at the woman in front of me. She blinked back.

I blinked again.

Was the woman in the mirror really me?

I looked so different from my usual self that it was even hard believing that the person staring back was indeed me.

"I look so different." I murmured, still refusing to take my eyes of the mirror. "Almost unrecognisable."

It was now that I really understood how the Ugly Duckling felt when he realized he had transformed into a swan...

Bella laughed behind me, "Not just different, you look exceedingly gorgeous too."

"Thank you," I said sincerely, clasping her hand in mine. "I mean it. You have done more for me than my own family would. How can I possibly repay you?"

She had always been my rock. As a sister from another mother, as a friend, as a confidant.

Her smile was unwavering. "You are part of our family now and you will always have my support in whatever you do."

* * *

I stood behind the rows of people who were seated waiting for the ceremony to commence. My eyes searched for Ashton as I waited. I hadn't seen him since breakfast where he had just given me a smile and a reassuring hug.

Once our feelings for each other was out in the open, he no longer avoided me. In fact, everyone had come to accept us as a couple now.