Chapter 18: 21st

I toss in the sheets in attempt to fall asleep. It's so cold in my room, but I can't be bothered getting out of bed and changing the thermostat. I probably shouldn't be going to bed now anyway, I can never sleep this early, but my body is so exhausted for some reason.

I hear a knock on my bedroom door and I automatically shout: "yeah," in response.

The door opens and I can tell from the dark silhouette that it's Jason. I left his house about four hours ago, kind of abruptly and not in a great mood.

"Oh hey." I say, resting my head back against the pillow.

"Hey beautiful." He greets, laying diagonally across the bed, his face near mine. He runs his fingers across my head and tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "Is everything alright?" He asks, and my stomach sinks at the thought.

"Yeah." I quickly say.

"Caitlin." He pushes, knowing I'm lying. "Is it because I suggested we continued while Blake was there? Because you kno-"

"No no no, it's not that." I laugh, feeling a little better knowing he thought I was acting weird because of something silly like that. I roll over so I'm facing him and we both study each other's faces.

"Okay, that's good." He laughs as well.

"Come here." I say, patting the bed right next to me for him to lay. He moves closer so his chest up against my shoulder. He leans down and kisses me on the lips, and I tangle my fingers through his hair. Even though we've only been together for a bit over a month it feels like so much longer.

"The brown's almost completely come through hasn't it?" I inspect his hair in the light from the lamp. Half of his hair was bleach blonde when they first moved in.

"Yeah, I'm not sure if I should dye it again." He expresses, running his own fingers through his hair that is now sticking straight up.

"I think you should leave it natural for a while." I smile, imagining him with completely brown hair, which looks good.

"If you insist." He replies, playing with the necklace on my chest. "So what's wrong?" He continues to question. My mind runs through possibilities, but I end up coming to a complete blank.

"Nothing's wrong, I've just been in a bit of a mood." I tell him.

"Are you sure that's all?" He looks at me this time, and I feel guilty looking into those deep brown eyes, hiding the events of Friday night from him.

I nod in response, and smile to reassure him. "But I'm really tired and I'm getting worn out from speaking." I sigh, turning my body towards him and closing my eyes. "So can we just lay here?" I ask.

"Of course." He replies, rolling into his back as I lay my head on his chest. One arm is placed around me, and the other hand is intertwined with mine on his chest.

*Four days later*

"Please tell me you're coming tonight." Chloe urges, her eyes wide in excitement.

"I don't know, that last one didn't exactly go to plan." I think back to the spiked drink, and all the shit that's seemed to stem from that.

"Yeah but it wasn't only bad! I had a great time at least."