Chapter 13: Recovering

I take the pill the doctor prescript me with and a glass of water and wait for it to kick in. Most of the reactions to the Rohypnol have passed, but the queasiness and the headache are deciding to hang around.

"Hey Caitie?" I hear Nell's voice from behind me. I turn to look at her and she sits down at the table.

"Why do you look so serious?" I ask her, taking another sip.

"I called Louis about the spiked drink, he said he didn't know anything about it." She explains. "He said he'd ask around until he finds out who did it, and that he's sorry it happened under his control."

"He doesn't have to apologise for anything, unless he's the one who slipped it that is." I humour, making Danielle smile.

"Do you know if anything..... Happened?" She asks cautiously, looking up at me with a pointed gaze. I have a feeling I know where this is going.

"You mean was I raped?" I point it out for her and she nods. "No! The doctors did a few tests and checked me out and they said there were no signs of sexual assault." I lean on the edge of the counter and push my glass back and forth in my hands.

"Thank god." She lets out a breath. "I thought you would have told me if anything had happened but I thought I'd just ask in case."

"I'm pretty sure I know who did it though." I confess.

"What? Who? How?" She pushes.

"Harry." I clench my jaw as I say his name. Just thinking of the possibility makes my bones tingle.

"Oh my god. Why would he do that?"

"I really have no idea, especially if nothing happened. The last thing I remember is taking a cup from him and skulking it down, so it has to have been him. I'm pretty sure that that's the only drink I had not out of an unopened bottle from the esky." I explain.

"Wow. I will fucking cut him if he comes anywhere near you again." She tells me.

"Don't worry, I'll be staying clear of him." I assure her, not exactly believing myself. I don't exactly know how I'm supposed to stay away from him if we're in the same class twice a week, and we always somehow manage to walk into each other, but I sure as hell won't be speaking to him again. Except part of me wants to hit him and demand he answers why the hell he would spike my drink, and the other half wants to run away and hide in a corner because truthfully, after the other night, he scares the crap out of me. The way he pops up everywhere and has the worst attitude for no reason. It makes sense now. But why is what I don't understand.

"Yea, but that doesn't mean he'll stay clear of you." Her tone is obvious as she gives me an anxious look. I sigh and finish off my glass.

A knock sounds at the door, breaking the silence that had grown in the room.

"I'll get it." I announce. I walk around the island in the kitchen and pass Danielle. I wonder who would be here at 7:30 in the morning? Maybe Blake or Jason?

I open the front door to have my guess corrected, as Jason stands in front of me with his hands in his pockets. Once he sees me his face lights up and he smiles. I smile back at him.

"Hey! I was hoping you'd be up. I just came to check if you're feeling any better." He waits for my response.

"A bit better thanks, minus the headache and the continuous feeling of needing to vomit." I laugh.

~~

"I'll make sure to tell Louis about your discovery." Danielle assures me as she leaves to class.