Chapter 4: Sunburnt

I take a sip of water once my workout is finished. Sweat beads cover my forehead as the harsh sun warms my skin and I can feel my arms starting to burn. Why do I always forget to apply sunscreen? You'd think I would remember when I have fair skin and every time I step into the sun I turn into a tomato. But no.

I roll up my mat, tie the band around it and place it under my arm. I look up and am startled when I see Jason's face in the window. For a second I thought he was just standing there watching me. When I realise that his head is down as he concentrates on something.

He turns his head and jumps back when he spots me. I hear something clatter to the ground and I cringe.

He cusses as he looks down at the ground. He looks back up at me with a confused look. "What the hell?" He laughs. "You scared the shit out of me!" I can't help but let a laugh escape my mouth as well. "We're you watching me?" He asks as he lifts the window up slightly so I can hear him.

I guess it probably seems like that when you turn your head to find someone looking at you through a window.

"No, I just stood up and saw you there." I laugh along with him. "I'm sorry, did I make you drop something?" I ask, worried, as he looks down again.

"Yea just a stupid plate, I never liked it anyway." He shrugs with a half smile.

"I'm so sorry!" I tell him again.

"It's ok, really, we only have like 20 more." His tone is light as he smiles.

"Sorry." I apologise again, a worried expression on my face.

"Stop apologising it's fine really." He laughs at my repeated apologies.

"Ok." I give in and he laughs. "I'll try not to pop up at your window again." My smile is playful as he laughs.

"That sounds good. Next time maybe just take a photo, it lasts longer." He smirks.

I laugh at his comment. "That's old." I laugh.

"You're right, but it still worked." His smile is contagious. Literally, his dimpled smile is amazing.

"Hmm maybe." I smile. "Anyway, I'm going to get out of this sun before I turn to a crisp."

"Ooh have fun." He studies my face and arms as he cringes.

"I sure will." My tone is sarcastic. I walk to the front door and the creek door shuts behind me with a bang. I chuck my mat in my room and walk into the bathroom. I look at the outcome of being in the sun for forty minutes without sunscreen and heavily sigh. "Hey Nell?" I call out.

"Yea?" She replies from her bedroom.

"Do you know if we have any aloe Vera?"

"Umm I think we might in the fridge, why?"

"I'm sunburnt." I go to the fridge and scan the contents.

"You had one job." She states jokingly.

"I guess I messed that up." No aloe Vera. Great. I shut the fridge and decide to take a shower. This will be fun.

After finding a not-too-hot but not-too-cold temperature, I hop in, but my arms still seem to burn at the impact. I struggle to wash my hair and my body, trying to keep my arms out of the water as much as possible.

After the painful shower is over, I wrap a towel around my body and walk to my bedroom.

"Did we have any?" Danielle asks when I walk past her bedroom. I stop in her doorway and see her on her laptop sitting at her desk. She looks up at me and frowns once she sees my arms.