Chapter 17: Secrets

I wake to an arm across my bare stomach, my shirt having ridden up to my chest. I look across at Jason, in a deep sleep making soft snoring noises. I contemplate laying here for a little while longer, but my need to pee limits my choices.

I slowly remove his arm from its position and am glad when he doesn't wake. I lift my feet over the edge and walk to the door, looking back before I open and close the door behind me. The light nearly blinds me as I step into the hallway, sun rushing in from every direction. It's pitch black in my room because the blinds are shut, I just assumed it was dark out here too.

I go to the toilet and flush with the lid down to not wake however many people are still here from last night. I open the door and see someone standing just outside and I jump back, whacking my hand on the door as I do so.

I hear Danielle's laugh as she says: "Chill it's just me."

"Ow you made me hit my hand. Look, there's already a bruise!" I extend my arm out to show her my hand as she inspects.

"I don't see nothing." She lies and I scowl. "Wait for me in the kitchen."

"Why?" I ask as she walks into the toilet after me.

"Because you have to tell me what happened with you last night." She calls from behind the closed door. I sigh as the memories of last night come flooding back as if it were a dream. I walk into the kitchen and pour myself a glass of cold water, contemplating how to start the explanation of the sequence of events that took place last night.

"Okay hit me." She instructs, sitting down on the stool across from me as I lean my elbows on the table, spinning the glass in my fingertips.

"Okay so the professor was just locking up and stuff when I got to him, and then Harry came to hand his in so I got out of there. I went the back way to avoid him, when bloody John shows up." I explain.

"John?"

"The one who caused all this mess with the drink." I look up and she nods her head in realisation, a cue for me to continue. "You better remember his name from now on because I'm sick of explaining who he is. Anyway, so he was apparently angry about the whole situation and that-"

"Like in his note? Well, guessing it's his note." She adds.

"I guess. Yeah. Well he um, like, pinned me against the wall and stuff-"

"And stuff? What did he do?" She asks, concern evident in her tone. I lift up my sleeve and show her the dressing and the bruises on my wrist.

"He didn't really do much, this is just a bit of a deep cut and bruises from the wall, Harry was there before he could do anything."

"Are you alright? Did you get hurt anywhere else?"

"No, I don't think so." I say, taking a quick inspection of my body. "I'm alright, I don't think he'll be bothering me again." I tell her.

"He didn't nearly kill him again did he?" She interrogates further.

"No, he wanted to though. I wouldn't let that happen again." I pull my sleeve back down over my wrist.

"Thank god nothing else happened." She says, standing up and wrapping her arms around me. "I mean I'm prepared to kill any bitch that hurts you." She tells me and I laugh.

"I'm in one piece, I'm all good."

"Just one thing though." She adds, pulling out of the hug as a smirk appears on her face. "Harry was there, again, to save you, am I right?" She clarifies.