Chapter 1: First Day

I smile down at the acceptance letter in front of me for what seems like the thousandth time. It arrived two months ago in the mail, a plain white envelope that held my future inside. I was too nervous to open it, so I made Danielle, my roommate and best friend, read through it first.

Her acceptance letter came the day before mine, so we were both ecstatic when we found out I had been accepted as well. We start tomorrow, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Four months ago now, we both applied to Griffith University. We finished school last year at different schools, and were stuck between taking a Gap Year, or going to Uni first. We chose the latter. So we decided to move to Brisbane and live together, which has been our dream for a while.

We've been best friends since we were eleven, and we've been through so much together. From backstabbing friends, boyfriend problems, complicated families and being separated for 3 years when I moved city. We hardly have fights, and if we do, they're small and we get over them quickly.

"You're still looking at that." Danielle's voice sounds from the kitchen as she walks past me. Our apartment is quite small, but it's ours and and I love it. The dining room is in a large area shared with the kitchen, and the lounge room is in a separate room breaking off from the kitchen. Both of our bedrooms are down the hallway on the opposite side, along with the toilet and the bathroom. Our laundry is outside meant to be shared with the apartment next door. No one currently lives there though. Which I have to say I'm kind of glad. The thought of strangers being able to see our washing isn't exactly appealing.

"Yea...?"

"I don't know, it's been a month. Surely it's sunk in by now."

"Not really, I'm just making sure that I read through it properly and didn't miss anything." I defend myself. She looks at me suspiciously, before filling her glass with water. "I just want to make sure that everything's ready for tomorrow."

"Have you got many books for your classes? You find it easier to write than type don't you? "

"Have you not seen my cupboard?" I fold up the note and put it back in its envelope. I don't want to throw it out just yet.

"No, I don't exactly spend my spare time going through your cupboard."

"There's probably enough for the population of China in there." I get up from the uncomfortable wooden chair that we bought for $20 at IKEA, and place the envelope on the end of the counter. "If you need any, you know where they are now." I add before turning on my heel and retreating to my bedroom.

I grab my phone and plug it into the speaker as Not On Drugs by Tove Lo starts playing. I look over at my desk and see the wooden surface covered in books and an endless supply of study notes. There scattered from one end to the other, some have even dropped on the floor.

I started copying things down fro, my school books from last years Psychology class, a bit of recap before I start at Uni. I was going over them for about 4 hours when I had to go to work. I like to be organised and have things planned out, so refreshing my memory on everything seemed like a good idea.

~~

"What are you up to?" Danielle asks as she stands in the doorway of my bedroom, leaning against the wall with a cup of Milo in her hand. I grab my Woolworth's top from its coat hanger, sling it over my shoulders, and button it up.

"Getting ready for work." I laugh. I step out so she can see me and confusion crosses her face.

"I didn't think you were working today. You worked yesterday didn't you?"

"Yea, that hell sketchy guy called in sick so they asked if I could take his shift tonight."

"That sucks, I was hoping we could do something." A frown crosses her face as she pouts her lips.