Chapter Forty-Three Cyrus' POV

Felix's Sister

Chapter Forty-Three
Cyrus' POV

I found Jacob in the diner, a glass of scotch in front of him. I took the stool next to him. He raised the glass to his lips, glancing at me as he took a sip. "It's good to see you again," he said.

"I'm afraid the feeling isn't mutual," I replied bitterly.

He sighed, looking at me. "I know what I did was wrong. I regret everything I did to you. I'm sorry."

"If you're so sorry, then why are you still drinking?"

He looked at the caramel-colored liquid for a minute before moving the glass away from him. "It's because of my regret, I drink," he said. "and because of the drink, I regret."

I scowled. "The reason I'm here, is to talk about having our marriage annulled."

He frowned. "Oh."

"I'm planning on stopping by the courthouse and getting that started today. Since we were married before the curse and because I'm technically a minor here, I don't think it should be a problem."

"Ok."

I took a breath. "You realize this will make it like our marriage never happened, right?" I asked. "I'll have no legal obligations to you."

"Good. I'll finally be free of you."

I clenched my fists. "What did I do to deserve your hatred?"

"You're a witch."

"And you're a violent drunk," I hissed. "but I never once thought of leaving you."

He was quite for a minute. "Then that was your mistake."

I stood up. "No, my mistake was believing you ever loved me in the first place."

I stormed out and made my way to the courthouse, both regret and relief filling me as I entered the building.

***

I appeared in the caverns later that day. I watched Pan from a distance, staying quiet. He sat on the ground, staring at his hands. Blood leaked from a gash on his upper arm and there was a bruise on his cheek from where I had thrown a punch. His lower lip was split and bleeding but despite all this, he refused to fight back.

"Cyrus," he said in acknowledgment.

"Pan."

"Peter."

I shook my head. "Pan."

He sighed. "Very well."

I walked closer, and knelt to look at him. He stared at me with empty eyes. Part of me didn't like how I was treating him but the other part felt it was justice. "You look so sad," I said. "Just the way you should."

He let out a breath. "I didn't know he was your son."

"And that justifies killing a child?"

He was quiet and a dagger appeared in my hand. "Tell me, Pan," I said threateningly, looking at the weapon with an eerie calmness. "Does that justify what you did?"

When he remained silent, I raised the knife and dragged it across his cheek swiftly, leaving a cut on that perfect face of his. He did nothing. I raised his chin with my hand, looking into his eyes to search for the reason he wasn't fighting back.