10

Camila

So my captor and I's civil relationship wasn't long lasting. Not since I've opened this big mouth of mine. I do regret it. Honestly I'm not sure why I called out to Shawn. Maybe a part of me wanted to let him know that I was alive and then maybe that'd be a relief for my parents.

I hope they're not worrying about me too much. That would be the last thing I'd want to happen. When I was younger my mother always told me not to be a bad girl, that I should listen to whatever comes out of her and my father's mouth because she said they know what's best, I believed her. I still do.

I remember that one time I was playing hide and seek with Sofi and apparently it was a game I was very skilled at since nobody found me, not even the guards. When I went out of hiding my mother she was angry, she yelled and slapped me in the face. I didn't understand, I was just playing why was that bad?

She yelled and she yelled until she broke down crying in front of me. We were both crying. 'It's your fault! He's getting sicker...' she said. I didn't see father for a while, I used to always see him when I woke up because then we'd go fishing. It was like our thing. A few days later I found out from Sofi that he needed to rest. Later I found out he was worried about me being gone and it stressed him out.

'It's all your fault! He's getting sicker.'

I could never forget the look on her face, her voice laced with so much disgust. It would never go away not even to this day."

"No, Camila! This is all your fucking fault!"

This time it was Lauren's face and voice that was stuck in my head. It's been days and the memory is still there, fresh and alive as ever. I can guarantee you though that somehow, this hurt more than my mother's.

Lauren had been the first person to show me care since Sofi, it may not be that big of a deal to her. Although it mattered to me. All my life since I was 10 years old I'd become a closed off robot, I didn't know anything but to nod my head and please others.

I wanted to be a photographer, my sister had picked up a hobby on it before and when she died I got obsessed with the idea of doing the things she used to. I told my parents about this, they weren't happy.

'Don't be silly mija," my mother shook her head incredulously as if the idea was the worst thing she's ever heard to come out of my mouth. Who knows, maybe to them it was. "You will do no such thing! You will learn about business and takeover our company in the future."

I know nothing about their company. Except that it produces and sells advanced technology that would be beneficial to the whole world like the newly released high tech binoculars. Our company is like a home for various technologists and scientists. My father looks in to their every move and he has a high demand in their products.

I do know that technology was made to make our lives easier and it's very beneficial but The Cabellotech releases too much in a year and people get too exited to throw their money once it's released. Haven't they gotten too dependent on these gadgets?

How many of us are willing to put down our phones and live life? The world is beautiful. Those people are lucky they get the chance to but I can't, I'm practically locked up most of the time at home. I wish people don't take their freedom for granted. Look up from your phones while your parents would still be around when you do...

My whole life my parents had been AWOL. Physically there, mentally? I bet you the only time I'd be able to get out any reaction from them is when I'd do something wrong. But still they're my parents, and I love and respect them.

My parents trust me, they trust me to follow the life plan they've constructed the moment I was out of the womb.

Lauren, she doesn't trust me. 'We can't trust her' it stung.