Meta

meta
ˈmɛtə/

1. Fiction in which the author self-consciously alludes to the artificiality or literariness of a work by parodying or departing from novelistic conventions and traditional narrative techniques.

Chapter 1

Middle Earth Training Academy

I snuggled into my bedcovers just as the crisp summer wind swirled into my bedroom through the window.

I prepared to post one more chapter of my Lord of the Rings Fanfiction before I went to bed.

I had always been fascinated with Lord of the Rings, and once I had discovered numerous fanfictions dedicated to this classic series, I'd become inspired to create my own stories and escape to a world in my writings that was not my own.

Let's see now... I just had to edit a paragraph here, and add a few details there.

I continued listing things off in my head, progressing on with my work.

I yawned lightly, thinking of the upcoming morning, overdue assignments...but the scent of the autumn breeze  outside my window distracted me; it smelled so sweet. I left my window cracked open a little at night. To feel the cool air dance across my skin was a beautiful comfort indeed.

Suddenly, a sound jarred me from my peaceful musings.

"Hhhm" a deep, raspy voice mumbled through the darkness in my room, startling me.

I froze and immediately felt my heart race.

Please, please let that just be the wind! 

I thought as I heard a rustle of fabric near my open window.

What was that?

Fear silenced me.

"Ahem" The masculine voice pronounced more clearly.

There was a man in my room!

How long had he been there? Perhaps he had snuck in through my window? I had to scream!
But I couldn't, I was petrified.

"Well? Will you be coming along then?"

A low "Thud" echoed in my room and a bright white light flooded into my eyes.

This time I let out a gasp.

You would have too, because I'm here to tell you, that there; larger than life standing in the corner of my room was Gandalf the Grey.

Wait...what?
A dream? This had to be a lucid dream I was having as a product from my enjoyable albeit obsessive late night reading and writings about Lord of the Rings.

Another loud "Thud" startled me from my thoughts.

"Come along! We must make haste my dear, are you coming?"A mischievous sparkle danced across Gandalf's twinkling eyes and through his words.

"What?" I croaked out.

Great! Out of all the million and one questions running through my head right now, the only intelligent reply I can muster is; "what?"

Gandalf uttered another impatient grumble. "The academy, my dear! You have been selected to join the Middle Earth Training Academy? Hurry along now! We haven't any time to waste."

I paused briefly. A Middle Earth training academy? I'd never heard of such a thing! Was it some sort of school actually in Middle Earth? Say this was some crazy dream...it's not every day that Gandalf the Grey pops up in your life and asks you on an adventure. Why shouldn't I go, it wasn't as though I had anything to lose. Even if this wasn't real, it would feel like dream come true! I didn't really see where I could go wrong here.

I tossed the covers off my bed and stood up, smiling,

"Why not?" I grinned.

Gandalf seemed a bit taken back by my reaction but he returned the smile.

"Then off we go!" He chuckled.

Wait! I needed clothes, make-up, food...I needed to pack!

But already the air around me was changing, swirling and melting together, I could faintly smell....long bottom leaf pipe tobacco? I reached out and snatched an old leather bag at the end of my bed before being whisked away.