{ 11 } banana bread

{ 11 } banana bread

"Vive le vent, vive le vent, Vive le vent d'hiver."

Grandmère was singing while she was shuffling around the kitchen. It was in the tune of Jingle Bells but none of the lyrics actually included the words "Jingle Bells".

"Qui s'en va sifflant, soufflant, Dans les grands sapins verts, oh!" She was carrying a bowl of mixed dry ingredients to the kitchen counter. Her hands were shaking and a lot of the bowl's contents were spilling on the flour. I just shook my head, making a mental note to clean it up later, and returned to my laptop. The Christmas party details were coming along nicely. The decorations were being ordered and I created more "Christmas appropriate" recipes that needed to be tested. Jasmin was in charge of getting the word out, though I did discourage her on trying to get live entertainment.

"Vive le vent, vive le vent, Vive le vent d'hiver." Grandmère was much closer to me now. I finished the lyrics for her before I turned to face her.

"Boules de neige et Jour de l'An, Et Bonne Année grandmère!" She had a big grin on her face and was carrying a small bowl.

"I'm baking some more cookies for the counter, maintenant. C'est dans le four." When she heard something in French or was saying something in French, Grandmère would continue in French. It would take her a sentence or two to switch into English.

Grandmère left a small bowl next to my laptop and returned to the kitchen, mumbling the same song under her breath now. I looked in the bowl and saw mixed wet ingredients for the cookies that were supposed to be in the oven. Confused, I went into the kitchen.

"Grandmère? Did you forget to mix all the ingredients together before putting the cookies in the oven?"

She ignored me and continued humming. She poured half a carton of sugar into a different bowl, then half a carton of pepper. I gasped.

"Grandmère!" I yelled a little louder.

"Quoi?" She responded softly.

I walked to the oven and saw that it wasn't even on. I opened the door and saw the dry ingredients mixing bowl Grandmère was carrying earlier, nearly empty. I took it out and my heart started beating faster. If she had turned on the oven...

"Grandmère, are you feeling well?" I reached out to feel her forehead. She moved my hand away.

"Oui, Adele, je me sens bien," she replied exasperatedly.

My hand froze. Putting a mixing bowl with unprepared ingredients in an off oven, giving me a bowl of wet ingredients, mixing French and English in one sentence that doesn't make much sense. Something's definitely wrong. If that wasn't enough, she had just called me by my mother's name. She never confused me with my mother.

"Grandmère, it's me, Bonnie?"

"I know."

I didn't know what to say. She couldn't go home by herself like this.

"Grandmère, why don't you go upstairs and take a nap? I'll be able to finish the rest myself."

She simply nodded and shuffled upstairs.

As I cleaned up the mess, I realized that she would have to live with Jasmin and me for a while. Plus, we would have to take her to a doctor soon. I just hope she's okay.

° ° °