THE HARE AND THE MOOM

Start from the beginning

Sitting at a wooden table was Monkey, a jittery fellow with a worried face and large brown eyes, which right now wide open. The storm was too wildly for him. He walked over to Rabbit and looked at the herbs then walked back to the table and sit only to repeat walking over Rabbit, who gently smiled comfort at him.

On the other side of the table sat  Fox, he was older and wise, gaining knowledge from his hunt. He like the night, only this night came with a storm. Fox was more than discomforted by the wind blowing and rains pouring, he got up and pranced around the small room then would sit again. For comfort, Rabbit patted Fox as he walked by the fire.

Both waited for their supper. The smell from the crushed herbs was so delicious one could eat the fragrance. Rabbit always cooked the best foods that were more than delicious. Both liked living with Rabbit, who also loved to serve them, also washing their bedding. She loved to clean, she made their beds and swept. She planted and watered to the garden. She brought in the vegetables, and she chopped them for the tasty soups. Both ate well. Monkey did help with the fruit trees and did a bit of the gardening. Now and then Fox brought in fish or mice for Rabbit to cook.

The enticing smell convinced the old man, he should visit during the storm, the perfect place, shabby, but clean, and very pleasant. He liked the garden filled with herbs, vegetables, and fruit trees. The cherry tree had ripe cherries.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Beat the old man on the door, almost breaking it.

The offensive noise scared Fox and Monkey; they ran behind the table clutching each other. Rabbit looked up from her grinding. The door was closed. She looked over at Fox, he was the bravest and Rabbit said, "Fox go open the door."

"NO!" said Fox, "No I'm not going open the door "NO! NO, a storm is in the night, and who knows what's out there. Could be a beast ready to eat us. I've seen such things in the dark shadow waiting, creeping."

Rabbit chucked, "Oh go, we will never know who's out there. Fox, it could be a god. Go open the door. Whoever is out there is cold and needs help."

Fox slowly crept to the door while monkey climbed to the top of the roof into his special place where he peeked down shaking He was more than scared, he was panicked.

When the door opened, Fox was pushed onto the floor by gushing wind and beating rain splashed. Into the hut stumbled a decrepit, dirty, unkempt human, smelling of fear. The three animals froze petrified.

Finally, Rabbit offered, "What may we do for you."

"I need warmth and food."

"Oh, do come in, Kind Sir, from the storm. Sit by our fire for warmth. Take off that wet cape and it will dry by the fire."

The old man came in. Rabbit asked Monkey to bring in some cherries. With eyes big he hesitated, Rabbit pushed him.

"I will get fruits." Coming back inside the Monkey said, "Too cold, too wild, I could only pick a few cherries."

The old man bowed to Monkey and ate the cherries. "I need more than cherries to eat."

Fox offered, "I will get fish." Coming back inside Fox said, "Much too windy and cold to fish. Here are some fresh bugs."

The old man bowed the Fox, then said, "Bugs will make me sick."

Rabbit offered, "Cooked on this stick, they should be tasty."

Old man moved closer to the fire and roasted the bugs.

He bowed to Rabbit, "I need more than these few roast bugs."

Rabbit looked at her friends, who were cowering; the smells of fright overwhelm the smell herbs or fire burning.

Fox whispered to Rabbit, "He wants to eat us."