Chapter 28

It had been a few weeks since Cal's sister's death anniversary. He had gradually got better, and even seemed a lot happier than before.

Our days were now filled with warm sweaters, hot drinks, and me not sleeping in my own bed anymore. Even though I didn't want to leave anyways, Cal had pretty much demanded me to stay his room. He did all but move my clothes to get me to stay.

It was clear to see that autumn was Cal's favorite season. His constant desire to leave the apartment just to get outside was overwhelming. I would just be sitting on the couch when he would just come out of his room dressed in a jacket, jeans and hat and ask me if I wanted to go on a walk. I quickly declined after the first time, when we ended up walking about five miles around the city.

As it got colder, Cal got more excited. I asked him if it was for the snow, but he told me it wasn't about the weather. I quickly found out Halloween was at the end of the month. One day after work, he burst in with an excited face.

"What?" I said before turning my face back towards the TV.

"It's almost Halloween."

"Yes."

"Well, the company I work for is pretty big."

"That's correct."

"So they want to create a nice image for themselves."

"Cal, please get to the point."

"Us, employees, are supposed to dress up. We're having kids walk through the building while we give out treats-"

"No."

"You didn't even hear what I was going to say-"

"No."

"Rory."

"Cal."

"Please."

"No."

"Come on," he sat next to me and gave me puppy-dog eyes.

"You're not allowed to do that."

"Do what?" I turned and glared at him.

"No."

"Rory, come on. Why wouldn't you want to?"

"Because dressing up and giving candy out to children is weird."

"No it's not! It's fun. I'll buy you tons of candy if you do it."

"You'd buy me candy anyways."

"Not this time. I swear."

"Cal, no."

"Please, it will be a really simple costume."

"How simple?"

"Very simple."

"That doesn't tell me anything." He glared at me.

"You're doing it." My jaw dropped.

"Why do you keep deciding things for me?"

"Because you need the experience and it's fun." I let out a groan and threw my head back.

"I hate you."

"No you don't."

To make this worse, he made me go shopping with him so we could find a costume. He invited Nick and Trinity along as well. We met at a store specifically for Halloween. It was dark and had a lot of scary things around. Cal almost screamed when somebody came to ask if we needed anything.

"You are such a baby," I said while rolling my eyes. I pointed at some kids running around screaming. "Even they're not scared."

"They're scared internally," Cal whispered. I rolled my eyes again while Nick and Trinity laughed.