1 - Act of Bravery

Start from the beginning

This didn't stop them from moving instantly, though. The figure's movements were simply unsettled as they somewhat crawled into a full-out sprint. Which quite possibly would have allowed escape if they were not barreling straight toward Hiruzen.

Whether the figure sensed him or became aware of his presence through his amused chuckle from the upcoming collision, Hiruzen was not sure, but the figure did become suddenly aware. They skidded to a stop, just barely avoiding the predicted impact. The figure stumbled a couple of feet back, and it was then Hiruzen finally got a good look at the culprit. His eyes widened.

It was only a boy no older than eight. The boy had unruly black hair that had a few random streaks of white in his bangs. Dark bags stood out beneath his eyes, a stark contrast against his pale skin and lavender eyes. His skin also appeared sunken in as if he hadn't eaten properly in a while, though not to the point it appeared he was starved. His clothes were ragged and dirty, yet another feature adding to his bad condition.

It was not an appearance Hiruzen had ever expected to see from a boy within his walls. Then again, he didn't even faintly recognize the boy's face. It was during his analyze he finally realized what all the fuss had been over.

Within the boy's grasp was a bag of fruit, and judging by Kaito's actions, it had been stolen.

"Watch out!"

Hearing the academy student's voice, both Hiruzen and the young thief looked toward him. Either not comprehending the boy's size or not even realizing it was a kid, Kaito had unleashed a handful of shuriken. The distance provided a rather easy chance to dodge for anyone who had been trained - which it appeared the thieving boy had been by his previous demonstration of his skills.

However, rather than jumping out of the way, the boy simply glanced in Hiruzen's direction. Previously tired eyes hardened with an unknown resolve. The boy rose to his feet. He didn't move, though. Rather he stood directly in the way of the shuriken.

"Sorry, old man," the dark haired boy said.

Hiruzen mentally snorted in surprised laughter. This boy thought he was merely an old man? If so, he definitely wasn't from the village. Which only made the entire situation even stranger.

Before the shuriken could get close enough to cause any damange, the Hokage reacted. He grabbed the boy's collar, hoping the worn cloth wouldn't give within his grip. Hiruzen jumped out of the shuriken's path, allowing the pointed stars to bury themselves within the earth.

"Lord Hokage!" Kaito exclaimed, landing on the ground a few feet from them. He dropped his head, his face gradually turning red. "Um, I'm sorry. I guess I didn't really pay attention to who I was throwing them at. I was just trying to stop this thie-" Finally seeing the boy for the first time, Kaito trailed off.

The boy stumbled to his feet, the bag of food still clutch in his small hand. He turned to face Hiruzen, his eyes wide with awe. "You're the Hokage?" he asked, his mouth hanging open ever so slightly.

It was impossible for the boy to actually be from Konoha. His knowledge was too limited. It appeared almost like he was homeless or something. Konoha hadn't had many homeless for a while, let alone a child without a home. After all, the boy must have been pretty desperate for food to still.

Yet he had risked his capture and pain in order to protect an old man.

"Go on home, Kaito," Hiruzen instructed. "I'll send some money to pay for the food later."

Two incredulous stares met Hiruzen's statement.

"You heard me, Kaito. I'll handle it from here."

Kaito shifted uneasily, but he wasn't about to disobey the Hokage. "Yes, Lord Hokage," he said. With only one last uneasy glance, the Academy student jogged away.

Once more turning his attention to the young boy, Hiruzen offered a friendly smile. "Young man, I would like you to follow me. I have a few things I would like to speak to you about."

The boy's lips flattened into a straight line, his eyes dropping. Regardless, he nodded. Hiruzen began moving, and the boy instantly followed beside him.

"Thank you."

The voice pulled at Hiruzen's gentler side. It had come from the boy beside him. It wasn't a normal voice though. It was cracked and strained from lack of use. Ever since he'd become Hokage he'd tried to ensure he never heard a voice like that, especially coming from a child.

The Hokage smiled sadly. "You can repay me by telling me just who you are once we reach the office."

The boy nodded again, falling silent for the rest of the trip.

*~*~*~

Silence met the end of the story. Hiruzen knew no other way to respond. His emotions were a mixture of sadness, anger, and outright pity after what he had heard. Regardless, he knew that something needed to be said.

"That sure is a mighty tale, Ryu Zenjin."

The boy, Ryu, shifted in his seat. He began to fiddle with something on his ring finger - a yin-yang ring. "It's all true, though," he assured.

Hiruzen didn't doubt this. Unless Ryu was a genius assassin, it was impossible for such a young boy to fake all of the expressions he had seen pass over Ryu's face as he had spoken. Which only made the situation even more complicated.

Ryu couldn't simply be sent away. The council wouldn't trust him to simply run around as an orphan, though. If they knew the threat Ryu's presence may cause, it was likely they would demand he either be under constant Anbu watch, if not worse.

As the silence drew longer with Hiruzen's mental debate, Ryu visibly became more and more restless. His nervousness didn't particularly be out of fear over trouble, though. It appeared to be more fear over being rejected. After everything Ryu had told him, Hiruzen could not imagine the young boy having the best of attitudes toward himself.

Imagining the boy's mental state was all it took to make the decision for the Hokage.

"Since it would appear you are "orphaned" and have no place to go, I have a proposal," Hiruzen began, causing the young boy to instantly perk up. "How about you stay here? I could even watch over you as thanks for trying to protect me from those pesky shuriken. Just like a grandfather."

Whatever Ryu had been expecting, it was not what he heard. He sat completely still, wide eyes staring his dismay. "You... can't... be serious," he murmured. Tears had begun to shimmer within his eyes, threatening to break free at any moment.

Hiruzen smiled gently and nodded his head. "Ryu, welcome to Konoha."

The tears broke free. Ryu began to laugh in shock and happiness. For the first time he grinned, though it was hidden as he pressed the heels of his palms into his eyes. His body began to shake as he began to sob at the same time as he laughed. His next words confirmed that Hiruzen had made the right choice.

"Thank you. Thank you so much."

Hiruzen didn't believe he could ever fully fix the wound that had formed within Ryu's heart. The boy had gone through too much too fast at too young an age. However, he was going to do whatever he could to try to ensure his future was much better.

Cursed SaintOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara