I sat down near the water’s edge, watching the wave’s crash up onto the beach. The sun was beginning to ascend into the sky; I hoped my day would be as peaceful as this morning sunrise. I had no idea what the day had in store, or how long I had been sitting at the beach. But a little while later, a girl who was my age came up to me.

"Good morning! Are you new here?" the girl asked. She was wearing a light purple sundress over a pair of white leggings. I nodded, smiling a little. The girl's smile grew; I could tell she was excited to see someone new.

"I'm Hayllie Anders, and I live down the beach that way," the girl said, pointing north, "What’s your name?"

"I'm Meghan Richmond, my mom, sister, and brother just moved here." Hayllie's face seemed to be positively radiant.

"You are the new girl! Are you going to Andrew James School?" she asked excitedly, and grew even more excited when I told her that I was. "This is amazing; I can be your guide! Are you taking the bus? Do you have a schedule yet... no you probably don't. So we're going to the office when we get to the main building to talk to Mrs. Jensen... ” Hayllie continued to ramble on about what all we had to do before we could actually get to class. I took the moment to look back at the house, no doubt that Skylare and Connor were already up, and mom had most likely left for work already.

"Uh, Hayllie, how long have we been here?" I asked, she pulled out her phone and turned it on.

"For a while, we should probably be going. I'll swing by your house on my way to the bus stop."

We both seemed to stand up at the same time; Hayllie smiled at me, then turned and started to walk back down the beach towards her house. I, on the other hand, stayed standing in the same place; almost like being rooted to the beach. I was hoping that Sam was going to be watching out for me, I know it sounds cliché, but I was hoping it was true. I started to walk slowly towards the house, judging on the time, mom had most likely already left for work, and Skylare and Connor were just about to leave.

I walked through the back door, and smiled at my siblings. Skie was grinning from ear to ear, and Connor was chewing on the inside of his cheek and had both of his eyes closed. "Better pay up little brother!" Skie laughed, holding out her hand. I looked quizzically at her as Connor pulled out twenty dollars from his wallet.

"You bet on where I was this morning!" I groaned, my siblings loved making money off of me. I guess I'm just very unpredictable.

"Yeah, you lost me twenty bucks because you weren't sleeping!" Connor growled, a smile tugging at his lips.

"So, if you weren't sleeping, where were you?" he asked, I just smiled at him, and then walked up the stairs to my room. I dug around for binder and pencil case, finding them; I grabbed my favorite necklace, and then walked out of the room, closing the door behind me. I danced back down the stairs, grabbed my satchel, and followed my siblings out of the house. Connor locked the door, and walked towards his Ferrari. Skie was waiting for him already, and Hayllie was waiting at the foot of the driveway. I quickened my pace, giving my sister a quick hug before I met Hayllie.

"Long time no see, huh?" she laughed, I grinned,

"Yeah, all of what, like ten maybe even fifteen minutes." Hayllie laughed and we walked down the street towards a small cluster of kids, who all seemed to be waiting for the same bus. When we reached them, Hayllie started talking with other girls at about a mile a minute; I walked over to a pretty girl with shoulder length gold hair, bright blue eyes, and a chic oversized tee-shirt with a picture of a beagle on it. She had the shirt tied in a knot just above her right hip, with bleached white jeans underneath.

"Hey, I really like your shirt. Where'd you get it?" I asked walking over to her. The girl smiled,

"Oh, thanks, but I made it. Want me to make you one?"

"Sure, that'd would be awesome," I smiled at her, "I'm Meghan, by the way."

"I'm Claire, are you the new girl?"

I laughed,

"Yep, the new girl everyone in this town was talking about. That's me!"

Claire ran her fingers through her hair, a sad smile rested on her face,

"It must be hard moving here, half-way through the year."

"Yeah, but I already miss the rain, California seems too boring to me."

We were both silent for a moment, then Claire started to laugh and so did I. How could anyone think that California was boring? Before either one of us could make another joke, the bus pulled up. Well, it wasn’t really an actual school bus… it looked more like a coach bus. I followed Claire and Hayllie onto the bus, my jaw nearly crashed to the floor. Instead or normal, uncomfortable bus seats, several leather couches lined the perimeter of the bus. Several small cafe-like tables were scattered about. Claire followed Hayllie towards the back; we all sat around a cafe table. A few more stragglers managed to catch the bus before it started to head towards the school.

Claire and Hayllie started to compare schedules, trying to figure out how to change their classes.

"Well, we've got third, sixth, seventh, homeroom, and lunch, and that's it." Hayllie concluded, going over the two pieces of paper again.

"That's okay, it's half of the day, and maybe Meghan will be in some of our other classes, just pray for sixth and seventh hour English," Claire told me with a smile, "then we'll all have two classes together."  

A few minutes later, the bus pulled up to the school, everyone began to push their way off.

"I've really got to get used to California." I muttered, squinting in the sun. Hayllie and Claire both pulled pairs of sunglasses out of their bags as we walked towards the main building. They brought me to the office, Mrs. Jennson, I'm assuming, greeted me with a warm, cheerful smile.

"Ah, you must be Meghan Richmond. It's so nice to finally put a face with a name! Here is your schedule; all eight-graders have a plan-hour first. Feel free to stroll around, get acquainted with some of your teachers, set up your locker, just make sure that you are in second period by the time you hear the chimes. Have a wonderful day dear, and I'll see you at the end of the day."

"Thank-you, very much ma’am." I smiled, taking my schedule and map of the school. Hayllie, Claire, and i walked out of the office, out of the main building, then sat at one of the tables under a palm tree.

1st hour- Plan

2nd hour- Math_ Mr. Jacobs

3rd hour- Science_ Mrs. Neils

4th hour- Gym_ Mrs. Renyold

5th hour- Lunch

6th hour- Reading/English_ Miss Rhode

7th hour- Reading/English_ Miss Rhode

8th hour- American History_ Mr. Caston

9th hour- Homeroom_ Miss King (this class can be changed to any electives that you choose.)

"This is awesome! We've got English, Reading, Lunch, Math, and Homeroom together! Well, unless you choose to do an elective." Claire exclaimed, Hayllie looked pretty psyched too,

"Yeah, you’re in my American History class! But I have Science second hour"  I smiled at Hayllie,

"So now what do we do, we’ve got about forty minutes.”

Hayllie grinned and looked at Claire, who was grinning also,

“We go set up your locker! Come on, there’s an empty locker between Claire and me!” Hayllie grabbed my wrist and lead me back into the building and up two flights of stairs.

Hayllie said that eight graders have the best lockers, and she was right. Their lockers were in the sunniest part of the school, closest to the library, and the best vending machines were in the eighth grade wing. Plus there was a wall of windows, with a perfect view of the Andrew James school varsity Football team.