???

The little slug on my shoulder chirruped as I sorted through the papers, the cold night casting a eerie blue-grey hue over everything in the house.

I held a crumpled piece of paper in my hand, covered in scribbled words and instructions, a photo of my family covering up the back as a ruse. I'd found it in a pretty little frame on my table, innocently awaiting me with all its glory. It'd held everything I'd ever needed and wanted, but frustration seeped through me as I realised that the letter could've very likely been a stupid mistake. Almost a prank of sorts, that led me on with hope to this abandoned little home right down the street.

But I kept searching, because the note had held true to its word so far.

It'd told me the location of the clothing I wore now, and also the weapon that was strapped to my back. The note had detailed that I'd find all this equipment in the fireplace, kept secret behind a compartment that assured everything was safe from the heat. But from there, the way down to Slugterra was vague. All the note said was that I'd know what to do if I ever went there.

Stupid dead parents. I hissed scornfully to myself, my own hateful words bringing tears to my eyes.

They'd left me behind all his mess, without a clear way out. The solution was all up to me and my lonesome.

I sighed, and rubbed away any tears that'd started to form.

Eventually, my legs started to ache, and I stood up, fatigue crashing over me. I was so ready to give up.

I'd been sorting through these papers for hours, but most of them were just overdue taxes and random bits of information that was no use to me. The only reason I'd even bothered to go through them in the first place was because they'd been suspiciously splashed across the ground, as if someone knocked them over in a hurry.

But just as I turned on my heel and swept out of the room, the toe of my boot caught on a board of wood and the object clattered across the floor.

I paused. Flamer squeaked loudly in surprise and hopped off my shoulder, excitedly pointing at the new discovery.

The floorboards had been removed, creating a perfect hole for an 'thing' to be fit. I glanced inside, and found a strange metallic box with the Shane star on it.

The air left my lungs.

"You'll find a box with the Shane star. Someone may have already taken it by the time you get there, but if it hasn't been damaged, then open it and gather what you can."

I quickly skimmed over those lines in the crumpled paper that was held in my fist.

Yes! This was it.

I couldn't hesitate a moment longer, and quickly pressed the star, which popped open with a resounding 'click'.

Inside, there was only one thing.

Another note.

Dammit.

~Boop. One two, skip a few...~

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

That was me screaming.