Chapter Four - Four More Days

Începe de la început

"I-I.. I can't take this; it is way too pretty." Bilbo said, a slight red on his cheeks.

"You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead." Gandalf broke into our conversation, while I rode ahead so Bilbo couldn't give my cloth back to me. I barely spared a glance at the dwarves who gave me curious looks as I passed them.

"You're too kind, you do realize that right," Thorin said, breaking me out of my thoughtful gaze.

"Who else will be. Besides, someone has to keep the peace, it's definitely not going to be Dwalin." I said giving Dwalin a playful smile, while he simply sighed and looked away. I could have sworn I saw Thorin smile a little, but not even I would tease him about that unless I wanted a death wish.

"What course did you have in mind to get us to the mountain?" I asked, planning on keeping the conversation up, so no awkward silence dawned upon us.

"Usually we'd want to take a path that is not dangerous, but I've been thinking of the mountains in between, who knows what is on our trail." Thorin's voice went monotone as he looked ahead.

"You mean 'who' is on our trail, you'll have to spare a thought about that," I said softly. "No matter where you are, you have to think about it, it might save your life someday."

He didn't reply, he just stared ahead for the rest of the trip, and I did not have the heart to break the silence, both of us weren't the type to break such a beautiful silence. I knew who would be coming, but even Thorin was in denial of the impending death we would be facing.

~

[Thorin]

I stared into space as I began to doze off, the first sign of me actually sleeping letting everyone know how exhausted I was. As soon as we had grown weary and tired from our journey, we took refuge on a clear cliff that faced the night sky. Morgana had scouted out the entire place and said it was safe, but she didn't sound like she believed it. Fili and Kili were to take guard duty first, then me, and then Morgana, hence us trying to at least get some sleep.

She set up her stuff in front of the tree by the cliff. She was situated there, fast asleep, and I could not help but watch her and the peaceful look on her face. I do not know what it was about her that made her appealing, but she was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen, no one could deny that.

"What was that?" A voice said hurriedly and nervous.

"Orcs." Kili said, causing my head to immediately snap up and go into alert.

"Orcs?" Bilbo asked unsurely.

"Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them."

"They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood."

Bilbo looked absolutely terrified while both Fili and Kili looked at each other and laughed.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" I asked angrily that they would think such a matter was amusing.

"We didn't mean anything by it," Kili said dejectedly.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." I said, calming myself down.

I walked over to the cliff and took notice of Morgana sleeping soundly against the tree. She looked absolutely at peace, not even stirring at all the commotion, I envied her for such a carefree nature. I had to tear my gaze away from her as I looked over the cliff's edge, trying to keep my mind off of the story Balin was telling, it was not a very fond memory of mine. It made me think of the times that I failed everyone, lost everything. I gave out a sigh and turned back towards the others, only to find they were all up and looking at me with wonder and fondness.

"But the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo asked, confusion written all over his face.

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago."

"How can you be so sure?" A groggy voice asked from the tree behind me. "After all, the wound is not always the thing that kills you," Morgana stated and asked.

"He would be after me right now, wouldn't he." I barked back, almost regretting it when she looked down.

"Or he's just waiting. Then again, don't listen to me, what would I know." She said, turning away from all of us, staring intently at the waxing gibbous moon.

[Morgana]

Four more days.

Four more days and then I'll have to tell them for sure.

I am fairly certain Gandalf planned this, because of what I can do.

I'm not afraid of being cast out, after all, it definitely would not have been the first time, but I have grown fond of them, and that is what I fear the most. I gave a heavy sigh before standing up and heading for the fire.

"I'll take over this shift, go ahead and get your beauty sleep boys. You'll need it."