Chapter One: The Prancing Pony

Sometimes during a journey, you have to stop and wonder "why am I here?"

 When I awoke in the night, the brisk air and the uncomfortable position I had fallen asleep in had not fazed me. I felt my horse was gently nudging me, pulling me from the depths of sleep. Feeling quite startled and on edge, I looked up and listened. A freezing chill spread up my spine as I heard howling not so far away from my current residence. I quickly began to pack all my stuff up, all the while keeping my horse calm. Once we were fully packed, I climbed onto her, thus beginning the cat and mouse chase.

~

 The drumming of my horse galloping against the forest floor was like a hurricane pounding in my ears. Mithel's fast intakes of breath made me aware of how long we had been escaping from the unseen force.

 I knew nothing of my pursuers; who they were, what they were, nor where they were. Judging by the howls they were either wolves or drunk wood elves. Both were rather unlikely in these parts of Bree. But what else could they be? Could they? No, they couldn't be... My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I wondered profusely about the howls. I decided on those hunting me being of Gundabad, wargs. They certainly didn't need a reason for food. Unless, with them, orcs pursued me as well.

 The whole time we escaped, I was hoping safety was finally in my grasp. As much as I wanted to stop so that my horse may rest, I knew that once we stopped, they would find us once more.

 I didn't exactly know what they wanted from me, but all I knew was that here we were, in a forest, being chased by a creature of the night.

 We kept at this pace for a while, until I heard the howling in the distance, striking fear into the hearts of those who traveled alone. That moment then, I wished I had just stayed a couple more nights in Bree so that maybe local authority could have helped. Though, I wasn't so sure that the power of Rangers or any other authorities could save me now. Not even myself then nor now could have expected an uninvited guest to tag along on my extensive travel.

"I am begging you, I know you can keep this pace up, we will be safe soon enough, I promise.." I whispered assuring words to my horse, which seemed to make her run faster and keep up the pace. "Thank you, Mithel."

 We heard no more howls as we hurried along, but I knew they were not far off from us, especially if they knew my scent by now, not that my scent was any different than a wolf's.

 I saw the familiar bank of water and hoped that maybe water wasn't something wargs would cross.

"Across the water, hurry Mithel."

 I didn't stop as we began running across the rocky current, the water flow wasn't rough, and allowed us easy passage to the other side. As the land was on our fingertips, we continued without delay, further into the lightening forest, towards Bree. It was the closest place to me, for I had nowhere else to go.