Chapter 1: THE DISTANCED ENCOUNTER

• Opgedragen aan TO OHSHC OTAKUS EVERYWHERE

CHAPTER 1:

THE DISTANCED ENCOUNTER.

The clock kept ticking, every second, tick tock, tick tock. Whispers were passed around, but nothing seemed spoken. The whole classroom felt silent, Except for the teacher, who wrote down the homework assignment. Akari sat, right in the middle of the class, hearing nothing but mutters from everyone. Some silent stares fell on her, but no one dared to whisper or talk directly to her. She was like a precious porcelain rose, to look at, but not to be touched.

As the loud bell finally rang for the end of the day, all of the class ran out at once, except for Akari, who stood up slowly after noticing everyone had left. She walked out, isolated again.

Everyone treated her like she shouldn't be touched, shouldn't be spoken to, that she should only be admired, So why should she care for people like that who only look at her outer appearance, her family already does that enough. She's not even going to be the successor of her families Electronics and technology enterprise. Her older but more oblivious brother is taking that position, but her father and stepmother still take her to every social gathering and party just to show off her looks and etiquette to all her fathers allies and competitors.

Akari realized at a very young age, all she is for everyone is a doll, a play thing, and so she's become a perfect doll for her family to use until she's 18, that's when she can put her past aside and live her own life, she won't get married to someone her father arranged for her, someone she didn't love.

As Akari walked blindly through the halls, she could hear small snippets of different students conversations.

"Are you going today?" One excited girl said.

"Of course! I haven't gotten to see Honey and Mori all week!"

"I want to visit Tamaki, but I also want to see the twins!"

"But the host club is open, right?"

"Yeah! They must be pretty busy, today's another theme day!"

"Ohh, I'm so excited to see what they're gonna cosplay as!"

"What's this Host club all the girls always go on about, are they really that special" Akira thought, as she turned down the shining hall. "Very interesting though, a host club in an academy, makes you wonder who would come up with such an ambiguous idea".

As she spaced out into her own little world, she felt a push, then she felt the cold, barren floor. As she heard her bag and books drop to the floor, she snapped back to reality and stared straight into the eyes of a dark haired male with glasses. "This one", she thought, a bit stunned from the fall, "He's Kyouya Ootori, third son of the Ootori medical group, my fathers mentioned his name to me before, he's shown me pictures of this face, what reason was it for though, I don't remember." She looked at him for a second before realizing the incident. "Oh, I'm sorry, I kind of spaced out there" Akira said as if she wasn't phased by the event.

"No, no, it's quite alright, I was doing the same" Kyouya said, his voice seemed distant and his slight smile seeming simulated. As Kyouya picked up her books with that feigned smile, she couldn't help thinking about his stare. "Those cold eyes put on a mirage, no emotion, neither sorrow or happiness, even with the way I hide my true desires, I could never keep them hidden that well, maybe he truly does not feel anything right now, not embarrassment, not rage, not guilt, nothing". Kyouya helped Akari up and handed her her belongings.

"I'm very sorry for my clumsiness" he said, his eyes still seeming the same. As if it were some instinct, Akari swiftly grabbed Kyouya's cheeks, and held his head in her hands, staring into his eyes for a bit and forgetting the students around them. His stunned face still didn't show in his eyes.

"What you just said, they don't match what your eyes are saying, in fact, your eyes are saying nothing. They show nothing, they're just a sorrowful space, empty of emotion and everything else. How? Why is that?" Akari spoke, a pinch of sadness and curiosity in her voice. As she finished, she looked at Kyouya's confused but still lucid expression, and she returned back to reality. "Ah, um, I sorry, my thoughts slipped out there, I must've surprised you terribly. Well I'll be on my way!" Akari quickly exclaimed as she walked swiftly down the hallway passed Kyouya.

"Wait!" Kyouya shouted, still very stunned, but Akari didn't wait, she needed to get away.

As she rushed out if the front doors of the school, she vastly rushed to the limousine waiting to pick her up. She jumped into it and looked back at the school to see the big letters in font in the front spelling "Ouran Academy". As her ride slowly took off, she felt her beating chest.

"What was it that I just did back there?!"