Chapter One: Deal with the devil

Chapter One

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Ugh, my peaceful sleep was once again disturbed by the tedious buzz of my arm clock. I rolled over and glanced at the devil's box, the digital numbers read 8:30. Fuck! School started at 9:00 and I could really do with not being late on the first day back. Somehow, although reluctantly, I managed to drag myself out of bed and head to the shower. From which I emerged feeling triumphant after only taking 5 minutes, which was a new record for me, I then reached for my previously allocated outfit. This consisted of black, ripped denim shorts, a stripy Bardot crop top, and my old skool vans. Once dressed I sat myself down at my vanity and applied mascara and a fierce flick of eyeliner to my ice blue eyes, concealer where necessary, and a swipe of MAC velvet teddy to coat my plump lips. Following the next logical step, I dried my hair, styling my blonde locks into loose curls that rested gently above my waist. Picking up my backpack, I gave myself a once over in my floor length mirror, happy with what i saw a smirk crossed my lips and I went on my way.

Before I go on, let me tell you a bit about myself: My name is Rachel Aurora May, I'm 17 year old, I live with my dad and my older brother Zac (he's 18), my mom died when I was 14 and her death really changed my dad, understandably so. Now, I'm heading into my senior year with a new look, a new attitude, and hopefully a new reputation. Before, I was practically invisible, despite being a cheerleader and a member of other extracurricular clubs. I have a deep love for cars, something definitely influenced by the time spent fixing up classic cars with my dad throughout my childhood. I only really have two friends, the first being Victoria, or Tori as we call her, the little fire cracker and I met as children and instantly hit it off when she hit a boy who pulled my pigtails. The next is my boyfriend James, we'd been dating for just over two years now, he was the first, and only, boy to actually pay attention to me. So yeah, thats pretty much my life in a nutshell, it might be boring but thats something I'm hoping to change this year. I'm tired of keeping in the shadows, I'm done with people not knowing my name, its time for me to step up and I'm just hoping that my good girl persona can handle that.

Once I was downstairs I gave my dad a kiss on the cheek. He grunted to acknowledge my presence and threw me an apple, not taking his eyes of the paper in front of him. I laughed, catching the flying fruit before heading out the door.

"Good morning baby." I cooed, admiring my brand new, back and white Audi R8. My dad had bought it for me for my 17th birthday as a reward for my perfect grades. Yes, we are well off, but we are not often spoiled and taught to appreciate everything we have been blessed with.

"Oi, Rach!" A voice called out from behind me. Without turning I knew who the owner of the frantic yell was. Soon enough an out of breath Zac came running into view.

"yes, I'll give you a lift to school." I told him with a chuckle, he grinned from ear to ear in thanks. Laughing at his goofy expression, I hopped into to the drivers seat and revelled in the purr of the engine as I started the car.

"Damn, I am so jealous right now." Zac moaned, frowning back at the sight of his beat up truck that sat dejected in the driveway. My dad refused to get him a new car until he spent time fixing up the tuck he had, but Zac never took to cars the way I did. I laughed and patted his shoulder gently.

"There, there, your truck is kinda cool too." I reassured him in my most patronising tone.He smacked my hand away and crossed his arms pouting.

"Shut up." He muttered, sulking against the passenger door. To be honest, he really was a great brother and I don't know what I would do without him. As I pulled out of the driveway Zac reached forward and played with the radio until 'Call me maybe' was blasting through the car, we shared a small look and that was all it took for us to simultaneously burst into song. We continued like this for entire journey to school.