16- Strong

16

"I-I can't hear the baby's heartbeat."

It's as if ice has been poured on his spine. Ngayon lang naramdaman ni Gerald ang ganitong klase ng takot. He was incapable of uttering any word. Natahimik lang siya, his heartbeat was fast and it's as if he was being choked.

Sarah on the other hand could not control her tears. Bigla itong naiyak.

"A-ano po?" Sarah tried to say.

"Wait." The doctor said again.

And they did wait.

Seconds felt like lightyears for Gerald. The silence heard inside the room was so painful. It was piercing his soul.

'Please not my baby, Lord'

Gerald was just staring, anticipating the good news that is yet to come. Sarah, let out a sigh when she saw the doctor smiled.

Lubb.......

Dubb...

A faint heartbeat was heard in the four corners of the room.

Gerald held in a deep breath and he was smiling as he kissed Sarah on her forehead. Hindi naman maipaliwanag ni Sarah ang nararamdaman niyang saya. But still something didn't felt right, the sound of their baby was so low she actually thought she was just hallucinating. Was it mother's instinct?

"There it is. Congratulations!" The doctor said, confirming what they just heard. Parang iyon na yata ang pimakamagandang narinig nilang dalawa sa buong buhay nila.

The baby is alive. There comes the heartbeat.

"You wanna know the gender?"

"Yes, please." Gerald finally spoke. And it was low, his voice hoarse, trying to hide his tears.

"Your little boy almost gave us a heart attack." The doctor said smiling.

Nanlaki ang mata ni Gerald and Sarah was laughing. They were just so happy.

"Heard that? 12 little Sarah and Gerald! Get ready! Practice tayo ulit later!" Pang aasar ni Ge.

"Ano ba?!" Pigil ni Sarah dahil nahihiya ito sa doctor niya.

"It's fine, dear. I'm used to that. But Gerald, I may have to ask Sarah not to engage in any strenous activities for a while." Sabi ng doctor.

"You're kidding right?" Sabi ni Ge. "i've researched and it says na pwede naman daw po as long as safe yung position niya- ouch!" Kinurot siya ni Sarah.

"Yes, normally, pwede naman talaga magkaron ng sexual intercourse during pregnancy, but for Sarah's case, you guys may have to hold that for a while."