Chapter 14: Meet Me at Midnight

"So, what did you write, Anna," I ask as I dump my bag on my bed and fall face first on it. Guilianna calmed down after we saw her twirling and skipping around. She takes off her glasses and rubs her eyes.

"Not a lot," she says and groans, "The problem is who will sing the song. If I know exactly who, I have to write a song that fits that person. I can't give someone who likes R&B an opera song."

"Who did you have mind?" Olive asks and sits down on Guilianna's bed.

"The two of you," she says, motioning to Olive and I, "since I know you guys the best. It'll be easy." I sit up.

"I can sing the song, if it's okay," I suggest. She looks at me with hope in her eyes.

"Really?" she asks.

"Yeah," I say, "it'll be interesting to see what song you write for me." Guilianna smiles and looks at her notebook.

"Thank you, Ken," she says. A phone rings in the background. We turn our attention to the phone. Which is in my bag.

Guilianna turns back to her notebook while I rummage through my bag to find my phone. It was a text from a number I did not recognise.

I need to talk to you. Meet me at the docks before midnight.

"Who is it?" Olive asks curiously. I shrug.

"Just an unknown number asking me to meet him at midnight," I say as I lock my phone and put it back in my bag.

"Are you going to go?" Kelsy asks.

"And risk being raped by some horny dude? I'll pass," I say.

"What if it's Leo?" Guilianna asks. She slaps her hand over her mouth when she realises what she said. A name we swore never to say again.

"Who's he? Your secret lover?" Melinda asks.

"He's nobody," I say through gritted teeth. I glare at Guilianna. She looks shocked at me.

"Oh come on! He can't be a nobody of you react that way!" Kelsy says, "spill!" I refuse to say anything.

"Leo is someone who hurt Ken badly in the past," I hear Olive explain.

"Yeah, by sleeping with some skank and basically told me I was a piece of useless shite right in front of a drama class!" I say, my voice rising with each word I say. I feel the bed tip to the side and arms wrap around me. It was Olive.

"I am so sorry I brought it up again, Ken," she apologises, completely forgetting the notebook. I ignore her for a moment, calming myself down before talking again.

"It's okay, Anna," I say, "besides, the revenge he got was worth me being arrested." Melinda gasps.

"You were arrested?" she asks in total disbelief. I nod and smirk at the memory. "What did you do?"

"I stole his car," I say, staying quiet for a while, "and then crashed it." Kelsy laughs and claps her hands.

"Bravo! Best revenge story I ever heard!" she praises. I look at Guilianna, who's eyes lit up. She grabs her notebook and smiles brightly.

"That's it! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!" she says and starts scribbling down roughly.

"Kendall, we have a curfew. It's eleven," Melinda points out, "you can't be sneaking off and see random people past curfew! What if you get caught? You'll be in deep-"

"Woah, woah, woah," I interrupt and stand up, "Back up! Rewind! Reverse! Who says I'm going to see this person?" She shrugs.

"Of course you're going!" Kelly exclaims, "Just imagine. Someone who wants to talk to you about something so important that it can't be said in broad daylight!" I roll my eyes.