Chapter 12: Fears Coming to Haunt Us

"I expect you all to dance. I don't care which form. Unless it's the whip and Nae Nae. I do not accept that dance in my class," Another counsellor, Jodie, explains. Some of the kids let the breathless chuckle out of their system. And by some, I mean everyone who had gym before dance class.

"How are we going to dance when our legs our jelly?" someone asks. I shrug.

"My legs don't feel like jelly," she says simply. That person glares at me.

"You didn't have to run ten laps around the whole camp," she groans. I smirk

"Unfortunately, for you, you'll have to stand in alphabetical order. After that, I'll teach you a small dance. It all depends on how quickly you learn the dance and how well you dance it," Jodie explains. We all nod. "Good, let me just get the list." She grabs a piece of paper.

"Francesca Aaron..." And the list goes on. Soon enough, Olive and I stay in our positions, far away from each other. "Right, are you guys ready?" We all nod again. For the next few minutes, we learn a new dance that took a while for some to master. Soon enough, everybody is even divided into four rows. Olive and I ended up in the front row.

"Now that that is sorted, I will discuss the end of the year concert that Mister Gilbert talked about. If not, then I won't discuss it with you since you'll be here all day," Jodie says, "There are three classes. Each one of them has a different dance. Each one of them will practice it and perfect it. Each one of them will dance it at the end of the year. There is no 'someone is missing, so we can't do it'. I expect all of you to dance this routine on your own. Any questions?" Everyone was silent. She nods.

"Right, shall we begin?" she asks.

***

"I don't care if you're Queen Elizabeth II's daughter! You'll complete all ten laps around the camp!" Stacy yells at a poor girl. We were just a few feet behind her.

"This is a gym period. It's worse than CrossFit," Melinda says. Melinda and I were behind most of the class, struggling a bit more than the rest. Now I know how that girl felt.

Apparently, Stacy is the gym coach. And the only one, to be precise. The only other counsellor was him, but he was just here to help the people.

Stacy's cold eyes find our group. "What is this? A tea party? Move your arses! There is a time when you can talk to your friends about your sex life, but not in my period!" She yells. We run a bit faster as she loses all interest in us and goes to the next victim.

"She's a bit harsh, don't you think?" Melinda asks in between breaths.

"Encouragement, I guess," I say. We pass the starting point where all the lucky suckers sit and watch how we suffer.

"Three more laps," Melinda says. We groan. The camp was huge! So now we have to run around the whole thing.

"Does anyone else taste fish?" I ask out of the blue. Melinda looks at me like I am an alien.

Yeah, yeah. When I run for a very long time I start to taste fish in my mouth. Deal with it.

We run past the next checkpoint where Ian was standing. He had a cooler bag next to him which I hope had water in.

"A few more laps, ladies!" he says as he tosses us all a bottle of water. Everybody thanks him but me.

"If he didn't give you that water bottle, you'd be sitting with the other guys who can't do 'physical workout' because you'll pass out from the heat," Melinda says, "the least you can do is thank him." I glare at her.

"What's your problem?" I ask, not trying to sound mean.

"You being rude," she says. I roll my eyes and keep running. For a while, it was quiet, until...

"Seriously? I know sloths that run faster than the two of you! Stop staring at the boys arses and move your own!" Stacy's voice booms. This is going to be a long gym class.

***

"I have never felt this tired in my whole life," Melinda says as she falls down onto her bed. We all land on our bed one by one face down.

"You'll get used to it," Olive says, her voice muffled by the covers. The sound of something thumping on the door makes us all groan.

"Who is last in the alphabetical order?" Melinda asks loudly.

"Ravis!" Guilianna yells.

"Campell!" Olive.

"Cooper!" Kelsy.

"Prior!" Melinda.

"Williams!" Me. I groan when I realise that I was last.

"Go get the door whoever Williams is!" Kelsy orders. I stand up and walk to the door.

"I'm coming!" I yell, hoping the person can hear me. When I open the door, the person who kept knocking on the door was about to do it again. "What do you-" I stop mid-sentence and instantly freeze. My lies and fears are coming to haunt me now.

Flower Girl...

"Sorry to bother," she apologises, her super awesome British accent almost making me believe that she is innocent, "but I was in gym when I noticed a bag. Is it one of yours?" She holds up the bag. I look over my shoulder to Guilianna and Olive.

"Anna, Olive! Did one of you guys forget your bag at Jodie's class?" I ask. Olive's head instantly flies up from its place on the bed and looks at me.

"Dammit! I did!" she says, starting to panic. I look at Flower Girl again.

"I believe that it's Olive's," I say. She nods and gives me the bag.

"Hey, haven't I seen you before?" she asks. I shrug.

"Some people just look like other people," I say. She shakes her head.

"No, you are extremely familiar," she says, stroking her chin like she had an invisible beard. "Oh yeah! That girl at the bar! The night when Ian sang karaoke." Dammit, she remembers.

"Oh yeah! Now I remember!" I say, trying to sound excited.

"We haven't been introduced properly," she says and extends her hand, "I'm Delilah. Delilah Hale."

I take her hand into my own and start to shake it. "Kendall Williams," I say, making sure I sounded polite enough. She lets go and nods.

"Well, I have to go. I have an essay to write for music class," she says. I slap my hand on my forehead.

"Hell, I forgot about that," I say. Delilah giggles. Even her British giggles were awesome!

"Well, you better get started," she says, "I won't take any more of your time. Bye!" And with that, she leaves. I close the door and through the bag onto Olive's bed. It lands on her back and she groans out in pain.

"Guys, we have an essay to write," I announce. And cue the chorus of groan.

___

Hey guys! Missed me?

Exams are over, I celebrated my B-Day and I am officially on holiday! *happy dance*. I have freedom! Meaning that I more time to write.

Adios Amigos!

-Annika

I love llamas... okay bye...