Chapter 5

Feminism and Fruit Snacks

Alexander's POV

"Student government." Said Washington, and I immediately looked up from the flower I was drawing for John Laurens. John Laurens, such a pretty name. Alexander Laurens? Nah.

John Hamilton?... Maybe. Oh yeah! The student government thing.

"Student government is like the real government. Full of lies." Said Washington, and laughed. What? He looked around.

"Really? C'mon, that was funny. But anyway, there will be a president, Vice President, treasury secretary, and school secretary. Now, who wants to run?" I said.

Me, Thomas, Madison, and Burr's hands shot up. I think Madison's went up so quickly he needed a puff of his inhaler.

Angelica's POV

I sat in Ben Franklin's reading class. "Okay, now for the book of the month: Common Sense by Thomas Paine".

"They are children." Said the student teacher. "Children shmildren. Go read." Said Mr. Franklin as he threw books at us.

He always smelt like that one building that has those white guys with long hair walking into it.

~in gym class that day~

"Okay kids, split up into two groups. Boys and girls. The girls are going to do push-ups on their knees, boys on their feet." Said our gym teacher, Mr. Lincoln.

"That's sexist!" I shouted. "No, it's the real world. Women aren't as strong as men. Now go!" I sat on the ground.

"No! Susan B. Anthony and Rosa Parks didn't die for this!" He sighed. "Angelica, just stand u-" "MY NAME IS ANGIE!"

Alexander's POV

By now, all of the Schuylers have started a song and dance routine protest about feminism, and of course everybody has joined except Thomas. Burr didn't join until just now, however.

"Equal rights for equal push-ups!" Shouted Eliza. Mr. Lincoln tried to pick her up, but she just kept screaming.

Mr. Washington went in here, and promptly started laughing. It had been an hour since the protest, and me and John have made picket signs out of glitter glue.

'I need feminism because how else am I going to get strong to defeat the patriarchy if I'm doing push-ups on my knees?' Said Peggy's sign, with a couple misspellings here and there, but I didn't point them out.

She's only a second grader.

The lunch bell rang, and everyone protesting stopped yelling. We didn't consider what we'd do for lunchtime. "Uh... Alex!" Yelled Eliza.

"I'm putting you on snack duty. Go grab all of our lunch boxes, and no matter how tempting it may be, do not eat my cosmic brownie." She said, damn- whoops I mean dang she sure was pretty.

I can't say no to that. "Okay."

Angie's POV

While we were taking a snack-break from the protest, Burr thought it was the perfect time to start campaigning.

"I'll have you know, as school president I'll make sure everybody has push-up equality." We all cheered, except for Alex.

"You didn't even join the protest until Theodosia did!" He shouted.

"Oh snap!" Said John in the background, then looked around and shrunk into the crowd.

"I provided the snacks! All you did is try to get Theodosia to hold your hand... You know what? Fuck you!" He said.

"Fuck Burr! Fuck Burr!" We all started shouting, before Mr Lincoln stepped onto stage.

"Gym class dismissed. Next week, girls will have same push-up privileges as boys. Washington, a chat please." He said, and we all cheered.