Chapter Six

Two days, two days and I was already miserable. I missed Kit, more than I probably should have. It wasn't like he wasn't staying in touch, he was still managing to find the time to call and text which I was appreciative of, but not having him with me was still disappointing. You would think a girl wouldn't get attached so quickly, but that's just how I was I guess.

    I went about my daily life like normal, went to work, went out with Lilly, came home and did some reading, then talked with Kit. And in my defense, it didn't sound like Kit was too happy to be away either, so at least I knew I wasn't the only one who was getting a little attached.

    I had went off to grab some wine from the store down the street and was headed back to my building when I saw someone standing outside of it with a hooded sweatshirt on. As I approached I soon recognized that person to be David, I hadn't even realized I had stopped walking when David saw me and walked towards me.

    "Sofia," he pulled his hood down to reveal more of his face, which was when I noticed it looked like he'd been crying. Immediately I went to him.

    "David what's wrong? Are you okay?"

    David at first, didn't say anything. He was just shaking his head and looked like he was trying to hold himself back from crying. "David, did something happen?"

    "I- Sofia, it's just. It's my mom."

    My heart plummeted into my stomach.

    "Oh no, oh David." I dropped my bag onto the ground and leaned in to give him a hug.

    He wrapped his arms tightly around me. "It's back, her cancer is back." He said as he broke into sobs.

    Although David and I weren't together and things weren't the best between us, the least I could do was be here for him.

    I rubbed his back in order to console him and he cried into my shoulder.

    "It's gonna be okay, shh, it'll be okay." I pulled away from him and looked up at him. "Come on, come inside and we can talk, okay?"

    David shook his head and I picked up my bag and we went right up to my flat. Once inside I set my things down and David sat on my couch.

    "Do you want some tea?"

    David shook his head no, and I sat next to him on the couch and wrapped an arm around his back.

    "Did you just find out today?"

    "About an hour ago, I didn't know what to do, Sofia. I left and I just started driving, and somehow I ended up here." He said over at me. "I, I know we broke up but you're the only who I can to about this. You know me better than anyone and I just didn't know what else to do and-" David sounded borderline hysterical.

    "Sh, sh David it's okay, it's okay." I got off the couch and kneeled in front of him and took his face in my hands."You can come to me with this."

    "I just, I don't know." David reached up and took my hands in his and held them. "I know I'm not your favorite person right now."

    I gave him a small smile. "That doesn't mean that i can't be here for you for something such as this. How is you dad taking this?"

    "Not too good, when I left he was still crying. And my mom, oh God Sofia my mom. I just couldn't stay there, I started to cry and I just couldn't let them see me like that. One of has to be strong and it should be me." David's voice started to get louder and more tears streamed down his face. "I can't go through all of this again, I can't."

    I got up and wrapped David in my arms and held him. He brought me down onto his lap and held me close as he buried his face into my neck and started to sob.

    Although I was extremely uncomfortable with this position I stayed put. Knowing I should put my own feelings aside for David and be a friend to him when he was in need. I rubbed the back of his head as I let him get everything out, knowing that was what he needed to do.

    I don't know how long we stayed like that until he started to get a better hold of himself. He pulled away from my neck and looked up at me and I used the back of my sleeve and wipe away the tears that were silently falling down his face.

    "Sof," he started, using his nickname for me. "I don't know what I would do if you weren't here for me right now. I'm sorry, I'm sorry for everything. I can't have you hating me, not anymore I need you. I need you to help me get through this."

    I could feel my nose tingle and my throat get tight an I fought the urge to cry.  Seeing David like this was ever something I wanted. And even after everything that had happened in our relationship I truly felt the need to be here to console him. David wasn't an awful person, he was just a bad boyfriend. Sure, he'd done some bad stuff but he really needed someone right now. At the moment, I should just forget the past and help him when he needed it.

    What kind of person would I be if I didn't?

    "David, I'm here for you. I don't hate you, we were friends once before. We can be friends again."

    Davids grip on my waist tightened and he let out a sigh of relief.

    "Thank you, thank you Sof. That means so much to me."

    I nodded my head in understanding. "I know, David. Did you want to head back to your parents place? Are you ready for that?"

    "Not tonight, I think I would rather go in the morning, I'd feel better then."

    "Okay, I understand."

    "Can I ask you a favor though?"

    "Anything."

    "Would you, maybe be okay with me staying the night?"

    I slowly started pulling away. "David, I don't think-"

    "Just on the couch, I swear," he said reassuringly. "Nothing more than that, I promise. I wouldn't take advantage of you like that."

    I really shouldn't let him. But just looking at him, it was painfully obvious he couldn't be alone tonight.

    "Okay, " I sighed. "Just the couch and no sneaking into my room," I said teasingly, even though we both knew I meant it.

    David's face lit up with a smile. "Thank you so much, Sof, seriously."

    "You're welcome."

    "So, how about that tea?" He asked with a smile.

    I returned a warm smile, "Coming right up."

    As I got off his lap and headed into the kitchen, I thought I heard vibrating but it stopped as soon as I heard it, must be my mind playing tricks on me.

___________

I'm the worst! I am so sorry for never updating please forgive me! Things got a little rough for me but i am back and will be updating more often. Tell me what you think of this! How do you feel about all of this, do you think David is taking advantage of her kindness?? let me know in a comment!