Chapter 17

"They really did a number on you," said a voice as Arthur opened his eyes and groggily raised himself up on one elbow.

Arthur found himself lying in a bed in a cozy-looking little room. A middle-aged man was sitting in a chair near the foot of the bed.

"Yeah, I must be a sorry sight. How long have I been out?" Arthur asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Not long, actually...only a few hours. It's almost six a.m.," replied the man. "Hungry?"

"Sure. What's for breakfast?" Arthur asked.

"What would you like?" the man inquired.

About an hour later, Arthur hobbled into another room where a delightful-looking breakfast sat waiting for him on a modest-looking dining table. The man was already eating and reading a newspaper. Arthur sat down near him.

"Thanks again for last night, Jim," Arthur said as he began to eat his breakfast.

"Don't mention it," Jim replied. "Sorry that it took me so long. I had a bit of trouble finding out where they were keeping you."

"Better late than never," Arthur said.

"Did you tell them anything?" Jim asked.

"No. It was tough, but I didn't crack," Arthur firmly stated.

"Good. I didn't think you would," Jim complimented, folding his newspaper and placing it to the side. "Once you've rested a bit, we can get things moving again. We've had some issues come up, and this little – how should we say – incident certainly has delayed our plans slightly. Damn that Moe! Always seems to find a way to worm his corruption into everything, doesn't he? Yet another example of why we need to finish this project as soon as possible. I'm tired of this city having to take it up the ass from people like him. It needs to end, and it needs to end now!"

Jim slammed his fist onto the table.

"I agree," Arthur said in a calm tone. "But haste will only end in failure. We've worked long and hard to get this far. Our work is unprecedented...a true feat of innovation and technology. But it will only succeed if we are sure of every detail."

"I know...I know," Jim said, regaining his composure. "Patience isn't my strong point...but I know what we must do."

"Don't worry, my friend," Arthur encouraged, putting his hand on Jim's shoulder. "We'll see this through to the end, and Moe Salley and everyone like him will answer for every crime they've committed."