Chapter 42

Several days had passed since the giant automaton had been destroyed. During that time, Walter and Arthur's secret compound had been found by the police. However, the entire facility had been burned to the ground before it was found. No causalities were reported, and there were no traces of any records, documents, prototypes, or equipment. Sal, Lana, Diego, and the other staff members had all vanished. The self-destruction of the giant automaton had been utterly complete, leaving no salvageable parts from which to glean any information regarding its construction. Arthur had been thorough and efficient even to the end.

Will decided to have a barbeque at his house exactly one week after the big incident. In addition to having Hank, Jennifer, and Claire come over, he also invited Sam, Anne, and Alastair. The day of the barbeque finally came, and everyone had arrived except for Hank.

"Where's your uncle?" Will asked Jennifer.

"I don't know," Jennifer replied with a shrug. "He said he had to run an errand before coming over, so he told me to meet him here."

"That's strange," Will commented.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, and Will trotted over to the front door and opened it. There stood Hank and Sue.

"Hank! Sue!" Will greeted.

"Hi, Will!" Sue greeted in return.

Hank allowed Sue to enter first, and then he followed. As he entered, Will gave him a little smile and then playfully nudged him with his elbow.

"Way to go!" Will whispered.

Hank just smiled and shook his head.