Love is Just a Four Letter Word | Chapter 3

Blake

"Could you please stop tapping? It's giving me a headache", a tiny voice spoke to the right of me. I was so concentrated in my thoughts that I barely heard it. I stopped for a second and glanced at her. I knew I scared her the moment our eyes met, she was taken aback by my stare--my stare that most called a glare.

First of all. Who was this girl to tell me to stop? She looked away quickly, fumbling with her notebook paper on her desk. I felt bad...for a total of 5 seconds. I rolled my eyes, holding in a laugh as I shook my head. Typical.

The bell rang just then and I got up and left. Not bothering to look back at the girl who made my insides feel weird and.

Love. It was just a four letter word. But it alone was enough to make my skin crawl. It made people sick and miserable. It gave me goosebumps. I hate how everybody had it. You couldn't walk in the hallways without someone trying to jump someone else on the lockers.

Is that what love was? And if it wasn't what was it exactly? Was it just a feeling or something you can have? Can you eat it? Turn it into something, something I don't know, like hate? Why do we need it? To get a sense of belonging? Why do we want it so badly? It's really not that great from what I heard and understood.

All these questions drowned out my thoughts as I sat down in Art class. With a questioning look on my face I looked as if I were paying attention to the teacher in front.

"Mr. Thomas"? The teacher called. I jerked my head towards her direction. "Do you get this?" She asked.

"Oh yeah....yeah", I said coolly. Leaning back in my chair, looking around, gaining a few stares from my admirers who were quote unquote in love with me. How is that possible? They didn't even know me, they were just obsessed with me--was that the same thing? I became lost in my thoughts again when the door opened slightly and that same girl from before walked in, gaining my attention.

Goddammit was she following me? Could this be considered stalking? Honestly, what have I done to gain a stalker, then again, I wouldn't be surprised, I mean have you seen me?

I did a quick glance of the room and once again the seat next to me was the only empty one. Again. I really have to go sit with someone else.

I acted as if she didn't exist, turning my attention once again to the front of the classroom. I could feel her gaze on me as she walked over and sat down.