Chapter Eighteen

--CHAPTER EIGHTEEN--

You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like there's nobody listening, and live like it's heaven on earth...

                                                                               Rose Ferland

I glanced down at the piece of paper in my hands, reading it over and over again, as I tried to make sense of what was happening. I released my birth certificate and watched it slowly lower itself onto the ground; I slid down the wall and wrapped my hands around my bare feet resting my chin between my knees. I didn't know anything about myself, my entire life was based on the piece of paper, a life I had no idea about. All my life I had been living with a complete stranger, thinking that he was my father, the only person I had left when my mother walked out on us-my mother was another stranger who left because the guilt was getting too much for her to take. My eyes unconsciously drifted over to my birth certificate, I looked down at the names again hoping that maybe I had viewed at the strange angle or something.

I picked it up and looked at it, a small smile slowly forming on my face, I had finally found out the truth-the real Rosemarie Ferland. I put everything back how I found it so I didn't raise any suspicion, then left the room, leaving the birth certificate behind. Dylan was sitting just outside the door, perched opposite his sister and Cassie. Kevin was nowhere in sight, although his voice could be heard from around the corner. I kept my head down as I passed him, the three of them were laughing hysterically about something. Dylan was the first to notice me; he stood up the smile slowly faltering. 'Rose...' His voice broke the giggles. 'What happened?'

My cheeks felt warm and damp as small strands of my hair stuck to them, I looked up, I was facing the main desk with my back to Dylan, Allison and Cassie. I spotted Paul and Eliza, talking with that Social-Worker who constantly hovered outside my hospital room, Lorraine I think her name was. Lorraine had her back to me but whatever she was saying seemed to be upsetting them both, Paul had a large frown on his face while he comforted his wife his mouth pressed to the top of her head.

'They're my parents...' I mumbled mostly to myself, not expecting-or wanting-anyone to hear me. I heard a low gasp come from behind me followed by a low murmur, repeating what I had just said. Paul and Eliza nodded in Lorraine's direction, anger started to boil up like a pot of hot water. I chewed on the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from screaming or yelling words that I'd later regret.

How could have they just let me slip through their hands like that?-I needed to know exactly what happened. If they really were my parents, I needed to know what caused me to live with complete strangers for most of my teenage life. I ignored Dylan's frantic calls as he reached out to me and closed my eyes, trying to think of what I could do. 'Levi...' I said mentally. 'I need you...' I felt something cold brush against my cheek, resulting in my eyes opening in a flash.

I was in a park sitting on a bench, children were screaming in delight as they raced around the playground area with no care in the world. Parents watched cautiously as they chatted away with other parents and some were bouncing babies on their knees. Why would Levi think to bring me here?-I was about to get up when I felt something grab my shoulder and pull me back down again. I let out a small gasp and saw Levi standing next to me. 'There's always a reason why I do these things, Rose, look closely and see if you can spot something...' Levi explained, motioning his hand over to the swing sets.

I sighed inwardly and gazed over at the swing sets, there was a little brown haired girl. She had to be about two or three, she had on a orange flower print dress-like the one I had on-and little brown boots. She seemed a little too familiar to me, she looked up at the sky as a man and a women-who I presumed to be her parents-pushed the swing forward. 'Weee!' She squealed as her feet went up in the air and giggled. Her giggle was so infectious that it formed a small grin on my face; her father hoisted her up out of the swing and placed her on his shoulders.