Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

                             Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

                                                                               Dylan Kamp

I opened my eyes and sat up, scratching the back of my bed in a tired manner. Allison was fast asleep in the chair at the side of the bed, her head lolling every now and then as she tried to find a comfortable position to sleep in. My eyes scanned the bare hospital room, I looked down at the sleeping Rose beside me. I fixed her hair by tucking her bangs behind her ears and lifting her head a little to put her hair over her right shoulder. I slid off of the bed, then turned around to look at her, using my thumb to gently trace the outline of her upper lip. I held onto her hand, squeezing it lightly. I gazed down at our hands embedded in each other.

I could've sworn that I saw her thumb slightly move across mine, I gasped inwardly, looking up at her. Her head jostled a bit before she settled down, and continued her still fashion. I frowned, setting her hand back down on the bed. 'When are you going to wake up?' I muttered in a questioning tone, leaning forward to kiss her forehead.

There was a low knock at the door, my gaze quickly shifted from Rose to the door. Cassie stuck her head through, smiling reassuringly at me. 'Hey there...' She whispered, noticing that Allison was sleeping as she came in with Kevin following cautiously behind her. 'How are you guys doing?' she added, looking at Rose.

'I'm better than I was yesterday, and Rose is...' My voice trailed off as I glanced back down at Rose. 'what if she doesn't remember me?'

'I don't thing anyone could ever forget you Dylan, and even if she was to forget you-you'd probably go out of your way to make her remember again, right?' Kevin scoffed, lightly slapping my arm. I nodded, 'Exactly, so stop saying stupid stuff, man' I smirked at him, grateful for his humor.

'Is she your sister?' Cassie asked, jerking her thumb at Allison. I nodded. 'She looks nothing like you..'

'Yeah,' I muttered, the only identical features that Allison and I had was our nose shapes, which no one would realize unless we were to point it out. Rose appeared at the edge of the bed, she was sitting cross legged, looking down at her hands. 'Rose...' I added in a whisper, eying her suspiciously, she raised her head her face stained with tears, she smiled at me. I prodded a sleeping Allison in the shoulder she opened her eyes and I told her to come with me she groaned then reluctantly got out of her seat. 'I'll be back in a minute' I told Cassie and Kevin as I left the room.

'What's the matter?' I murmured to Rose, as we walked through the busy corridor back to my room. I looked over to Rose, who was looking down at her feet as people walked right through her. 'You seem upset about something...'

'My Mom...' Rose began, sniffling as her face crumpled up. I went into my room, closing the door behind me, then shutting the blinds so the nurses won't assume I'm speaking to myself and put me in the psychiatric ward. Rose climbed on the bed, and I sat on the chair opposite her, leaning forward, Allison sat on the table by the bed. 'She's not my mother, Dylan...' she added, finally looking at me. 'She's just some stranger who-' she paused to sniffle and wipe her face.

'What do you mean?' I asked, trying to make sense of what she was talking out. 'Is she your stepmother...?'

Rose sniffled as more tears streamed down her face. 'No, she isn't related to me at all and my father...they kidnapped me when I was a baby'