The TROLL Bridge

Sssttooorrrrriieeee,

Sssttooorrrrriieeee.

Welcome story-lovers! Bobbie Kinkead HERE! Today's story is about the STORYTELLING.

The story the Three Billy Goat Gruff  is adapted, re-imaged, embroidery, and enhanced to construct the story here.

'The Three Billy Goat Gruff', a Nordic European folktale has many versions and told with many themes for motivation against tyranny. This is my take on the story, which is again full of symbols and analogies, especially the words 'Whose tramping over my bridge.' The analogy of goats defeating the toll master, a troll made a lasting folktale.

The bridge is to entice the goats, who are sure-footed, balanced, flexible climbers. Their horns called 'horns of plenty' help with abilities to fight enemies. Goats are survivors in a fierce climate.

The troll does not know whom he entangles in his hunger. As in Norse folklore, he sits under a bridge and will eat anyone who wants to pass. The tale is most likely from the Valkyries who guard the Bridge to Heaven demanding offerings from those who pass. So this troll guards a bridge to the fertile food on the next hill. Of course, the goats want the sweet feast.

The TROLL Bridge

The TROLL Bridge

Once upon a time on the side of a steep hill lived the Gruff family, small sister nanny, middle brother billy, and big sister nanny. They lived with their father, Ram goat, and their mother, Ewe goat. The times were lean and the grass was thin and dry. The Gruff family was hungry.

Every afternoon the three young goats in the late afternoon walked to the steep side of the cliff that looked over the deep rushing river. They sat on rugged rocks and longed for the tall colorful flowers and rich, green grasses in the meadow on the other side of the deep rushing river.

The young goats hoped the river would dry up. Their parents said, "The River never dried in their lifetime."

Many times the big sister nanny jumped off the rocks into the river in hopes of swimming to the other side; always the rushing stream took her far down the valley. Walking home was long, hot. She passed high parched cliffs with many homes of Trolls who demanded gifts. When big sister nanny arrived home she was exhausted and hungry.