I narrowed my eyes as I saw a deep carving in the light bark of the tree, drawing me closer, curious as to what the carving read.

DH & PK

Those initials were encompassed by a heart, as I assumed that they were the initials of some couple who came upon the tree.

It must've been years before, because the carving now had lichen grown into it, snaking up the rest of the bark as well.

I glanced down the continuing path, debating whether to keep following down or to turn back while there was still some light, keeping my ears alert to sound.

I knew I thought that, but I didn't expect that I would actually hear anything.

I was incorrect.

At first it was merely the snap of a twig underfoot, a foot I thought was my own.

I realised I was incorrect again.

I did my best not to tense up, eyeing my darkening surroundings. I didn't see anything, save for the canopy of bare trees and shrubs around.

I knew I wasn't going to be that person to call "hello?" in a trembling voice like a fragile little thing, but I was curious.

Maybe it was a squirrel.

Or maybe it was a rabbit.

Then I heard a lowly, animalistic huff which did actually cause me to physically jump.

"Goddammit." I hissed to myself, as some kind of sense that there was something behind came over me.

As I turned, it became apparent to me that the something was far bigger than a squirrel or rabbit.

Ever-so-slowly, I inched my gaze over my shoulder, to see a shadowy figure, that caused chills to shoot up my spine.

I had no idea what the hell the thing was, just that it had claws and sharp teeth bared at me.

As a veterinarian's assistant, I knew not to run from bears, dogs or wolves, I would never be able to outrun any one of those creatures on my own two feet.

Ever.

My legs began to shake, as I racked my brain of what to do.

I wasn't wearing a coat, which normally I would use to make myself look bigger and scare the thing off. I couldn't walk away, it would likely chase me.

From what I could tell, the thing, whatever it was, as big as it was, resembled a wolf, from the way it carried the bulk of it's weight in its haunches and back.

I'd met coyotes before, I hadn't died yet. However, this thing was way bigger than a coyote.

But the one thing I did better than a wolf, was climb, because no wolf could get traction with its paws like I could: one of the perks of having opposable thumbs.

There was also no way a wolf spent as much time climbing things like I did.

And there was conveniently a very tall tree right in front of me.

Once I'd come to my decision, I launched myself as hard as I could off the damp forest floor, taking hold of the branches above my head, before swinging upwards into the tree.

I wasted no time climbing higher: only when I was about fifteen feet off the ground did I look down.

"Holy shit." I exclaimed, observing the wolf-like animal growling, on its hind legs pressed up against the base of the tree.