ch. 12: Code Breaker

The last thing I had expected to hear was Scott's howl, long, loud, deep and teenagerish.

My head raised up and I looked to Derek. He was weaker than I was. The torture guy had gone full force on Derek when I had barely even been hit.

So I knew what I had to do to get Scott here and to get us out of there.

My howl was a little higher than Scott's, but not by much, and he could easily hear it from wherever he was.

He had better been coming soon.

And if he wasn't, I was pulling at the chains hard enough to where they would be coming off eventually.

When the torture guy came back, he had a baseball bat. Great. "Ready to have some more fun?" he asked us. "To be honest, my knuckles are kinda hurting." He stepped in front of me and Derek, raising the baseball bat up. "So I brought some help." He pointed at Derek with the bat. "But I need to warn ya. I used to play in colledge."

When he started to swing at Derek, I reached out to the side and stopped it from hitting my older brother. "I brought a little help too."

I looked behind him to Scott, and he followed my gaze. When he hadn't been looking, I swung the arm I had the bat in back, hitting him across the face and sending him back, hitting his head on the wall and knocking unconcious.

I reached down and pulled the bandage pack of death off, throwing it to the ground, and I looked up to the other chained arm. "Scott, help me with this."

Scott was standing in front of us. "No."

I looked up at him in surprise. "What?" I almost-demanded.

"Not until you tell me how to stop Peter."

"You really wanna talk about this right now?" Derek asked.

"He's going after Allison and her family. He's going to kill them."

"So what?" I demanded. All it was about Scott was Allison, Allison, Allison. I was so tired of hearing about it.

"So tell me how to stop him."

"You can't!" I said. "All right? Now--" I cut myself off, looking up at the chain on one of my wrists and shaking it.

"I don't know when Kate's coming back," Derek started, "so just get us out of these right now!"

"Get us out right now!" I exclaimed.

"Promise you'll help me," Scott said.

"You want us to risk our lives for you girlfriend?" I demanded.

"Huh? For your stupid little teenage crush that means absolutely nothing?" Derek went on. "You're not in love, Scott. You're 16 years old. You're a child."

"Maybe you're right," Scott admitted. "But I know something you guys don't. Peter said he didn't know what he was doing when he killed your sister, right?" He started to get out a piece of paper, unfolding it. "He lied." He held up the paper for us to see. "Remember this?" It was the paper that had the deer with the spiral on its side, the thing that had brought me and Laura back here in the first place. I shrank back a little, and Scott looked at me. "This is what brought you and your sister back to Beacon Hills, right?"

"Where did you get that?" I asked, my voice tight.

"My boss told me three months ago someone came into the clinic asking for a copy of this picture. Do you wanna know who it was? Peter's nurse. They brought you and your sister here so that Peter could kill her and become the Alpha, and that's why you guys are gonna help me." With every word that he was saying, I was growing angrier and angrier, shrinking back, and Derek was doing the same. I saw him pulling on his chains as hard as he could before Scott even turned around, and I started to do the same. "Just say that you'll help me, and I'll help you unlock Tara's other--"