ch. 6: Heart Monitor

Derek was taking teaching Scott to the extremes, but I didn't really care. Yes, the kid could be a way for us to find the Alpha, probably be the best chance that we had, but with the way he was taking it and the things were going, that looking less and less likely.

What felt more likely was that he was gonna end up with us getting killed.

While he was trying to help him, I was trying to get answers from extremeities that I didn't think were gonna work, I just wanted to try.

I wanted to go to the man that had saved my life six years ago by pulling me out of the fire.

Uncle Peter was always in his wheel chair, facing away from the door, in a catatonic coma, but I had to do something. I had to try. I sat down on his hospital bed, bringing his wheelchair closer, rolling to where I could see him eye to eye. When I looked at his face, the burned right side of his face that was because of him protecting me, I looked down. I had felt guilty about that since that day of the fire because he had been protecting me, trying to keep me safe.

I tried to push down the feeling. Laura was dead. Derek and I wanted to find the Alpha and kill him for it, and we were asking help from a newly-bitten kid that had no idea what he was getting into. "I need your help," I said to my non-talking, non-moving, non-living uncle. "If you can hear me, I need you to give me a sign. Blink. Raise a finger, anything. Just--" I cut myself off, looking down. "Just something to point me in the right direction. Me and Derek. Okay?" I looked at his burns, looking down once more. "Someone killed Laura. Your niece. Laura." I still got no reply. "Whoever he is, he's an Alpha now. But he's one without a pack. Which means he's not as strong." I looked down again, wondering if the next words I spoke were true or me just saying that. "Derek and I can take him. But we have to find him first. Look, if you know something, just give me a sign. Is it one of us? Did someone else make it out of the fire?" Even though seeing him like this brought out the guilt and the hurt, I was still a Hale, and I still got angered easily, but I wasn't up to that point yet. "Just give me anything. Blink, raise a finger, anything." I gripped his arms. "Say something!"

"Let him go," a voice said from behind me, and I turned around to face his nurse. "You think that after six years of this, yelling at him is gonna get a response?"

"You got a better method?" I asked.

"Patience," she said. "He'll respond if you give him the time."

I looked back at Peter, shaking my head. The Alpha, Scott, Derek, me . . it was all going too fast. I looked back at her. "I don't have anymore time."

I walked past her and out of the room, then out of the hospital.

I saw Derek's camaro there when I got out. "Get in."

"How'd you know where I was?"

"Didn't take long to guess at," he said, raising a paper in the air as snowflakes started to fall. "Did you know about this?"

"About what?"

He gestured for me to come over to his side of the car, and I did, taking the paper. There was a deer, with a spiral cut into its side. A spiral was our sign for a vendetta, or revenge. "This is what brought us here in the first place," I told him. "Where did you get this?"

"Never mind. Get in."

I walked over to my side and opened the door, Derek already in the car as I got it, shutting it and then we were pulling away from the hospital.

Tires were squealing as he took two sharp turns out of the parking lot, and I asked, "Where're we going?"

"To the guy that looked at that deer."