ch. 5: The Telling

Derek, Scott and I overlooked the damage that the Alpha had caused this time. The kid I had accidentally clawed the other day was there, and as was his girlfriend. I had heard their names were Jackson Whittemore and Lydia Martin. Jackson was yelling at the Sheriff, "now I wanna go home!"

Stiles, Scott's friend noticed the body. "Woah, is that a dead body?"

We were looking off of the edge of the top of the video rental store's building. "Starting to get it?" Derek asked Scott.

"I get that he's killing people, but I don't get why," Scott told us. "I mean, this isn't standard practice, right? We don't go out in the middle of the night and murder everybody, do we?"

"No," I said, remembering our mom's words. "We're predators. We don't have to be killers."

"Then why is he a killer?"

"That's what we're gonna find out," Derek said.

I turned around, walking across the roof top with Derek following me first, and then Scott following after us.

I got out of the camaro and went inside, them following me again. "You know, I have a life too," Scott said.

Derek was starting to walk up the stairs as he said, "No you don't."

"Yes I do!" Derek and I turned to him in annoyance. "I don't care what you say about him making me his pet or--"

"Part of his pack," I cut him off.

"Whatever. I have homework to do. I have to go to a parent teacher conference tomorrow because I'm failing chemistry."

"You wanna do homework?" I asked boredly. I didn't even want to go to school, which I didn't. I wasn't even enrolled, and didn't care to be. "Or do you wanna not die?"

Scott sighed with annoyance, looking away. "You have less than a weak til the full moon," Derek said. "If you don't kill with him, he kills you."

"Okay, seriously? Who made up these rules?" Scott demanded.

"It's a right of passage into his pack," Derek said.

"You know what else is a right of passage? Graduating from high school.  And you don't have to kill anyone to do it. Why can't you just find him yourselves? Why can't you just sniff him out when he's a human?"

"Because his human scent could be entirely different," I told him. "It has to be you."

"You have a connection with him, a link that you can't understand," Derek said. "If I can teach you to control your abilities, you can find him."

"So if I help you, you can stop him?" Scott asked.

"Not alone," I answered. "We're stronger in numbers. A pack makes the individual more powerful."

"How am I supposed to help when I have no idea of what I'm doing?"

"Because I'm gonna teach you," Derek repeated. "Did you remember what happened the first night you were shot in the arm? Right after you were hit?"

"Yeah, I changed back."

"Mm-hm." Derek stepped down the steps slowly. "And when you were hit by his car, same thing, right?" Derek stood in front of him now. "What's the common denominator?"

Scott shook his head, and I rolled my eyes, taking his hand and squeezing until it broke, and he groaned, yelled, sinking to the floor. I could feel the bones crush and crack beneath my hand and it wasn't necessarily a pleasant feeling. 'What the hell are you doing?" Scott demanded.