ch. 1: Pilot

Laura had disappeared on me. Again. Each and every time she did this, I would have to go and find her.

There was a new werewolf running along Beacon Hills, which hadn't been our home in six years, since our house fire that had killed most of our family, including our mother and our sister Cora, and others who had been human, children.

I was lucky to get out. I had been in the house, but our uncle Peter had gotten us both out. I had been sick that day, and I hadn't been able to go to school. I had been nine years old.

Now I was fifteen, and everything that my sister Laura, an Alpha, knew about fighting and controlling of full moons and just about everything else that made her as good as she was, I knew. So I was a pretty bad ass fifteen year old.

We hadn't heard from our brother Derek in a while though. Laura had told him about coming back here, but .. . .

Laura had told me to wait in the car while she was in the woods. She had been gone awhile. I didn't even know where she was. I had always liked how Laura could actually shift into a full wolf, like our mother had been able to do before she died, but Derek and I didn't have the ability to do that. It was just Laura because she was the Hale family Alpha wolf. Peter would be, but he . . .

Well, never mind.

I was getting annoyed very quickly with Laura taking forever. Hales weren't very good with their tempers or languages or anything like that.

So when I got out of the car to go look for her, it wasn't a surprise that I would be pissed.

I shut the car door and headed into the direction Laura had, following her scent. I had lived with her for the past six years. I knew her scent well. And being that I had the ability to sense an Alpha nearby helped.

But this time, I didn't feel an Alpha nearby. It was like she had vanished. I kept following her scent anyway, not caring.

"Laura?"

I didn't get an answer.

I felt eyes on me. I stopped and looked to my right, my eyes glowing blue as I used the night vision that I could when I was shifted or partly shifted. Something was running away before I could see it or them, and I wasn't slow to start to take off after it, using every advantage as a werewolf I had.

I ran as fast as I could, and I could run well, my arms pumping at my sides before my gaze fell to something on the ground.

Not something.

A body.

Cut in half.

I used my night vision to look at who it was again.

And froze.

Laura.

Laura, with her long brown hair and brown eyes, with her body competely cut in half at the waist, beyond dead.

Though I didn't take it as hard as I would've if I had been a normal fifteen year old girl. I had lost almost my entire family in one night. My mom, uncles, aunts, cousins, my sister Cora, but Peter had dragged me and him out while Derek and Laura had been at school. I had to see most of them die. Their burning flesh as they burned alive, the smoke that they were inhaling killing them before the flames could . . .

This was no different.

Except this sister was the one that I had been with for the last six years.

But I would grieve later.

Now? Now I was pissed, and I wanted to kill whoever did it, not caring if I had gotten killed too.

I ran after whatever had run away from me before, taking off after it just as fast as before, ignoring everything, jumping over logs and over trees. Being a werewolf gave you many gifts, and I had been used to these gifts for most of my life, so I knew how to use them well.