ch. 3: Pack Mentality

I wasn't going to school unless Derek dragged me there himself. I just wasn't.

I hed never liked going, and I didn't need to. Especially now, when I didn't have anything bright left in my future anyway.

Derek was gone for most of the afternoon. I didn't know why, and I didn't care enough to go and find out. But sitting in what was left of the burned and broken and crumbling house of ours seemed like as good a plan as any.

I didn't want this to change. Yes, I hated just sitting around while the Alpha was out there, killing, the one who had killed Laura, but I wasn't going to change that by sitting through long, boring classes that I didn't need anyway.

I had heard about the attack on the bus driver, but I wasn't doing anything about it just yet. I didn't know if it had been Scott, the new wolf in town, or the Alpha. I needed to find out quick though, if there was any chance that I could find the Alpha and kill him.

The door creaking itself open made me super alert, ready to disappear if it was a deputy or the sheriff making sure that I was at school and not here, but all I saw was Derek walking in, and he didn't have the most patient look on his face when he saw me sitting down in the living room. "What are you doing here?"

"Nice to see you too," I said, standing up and walking around him to the stairs.

"You're not supposed to be here,"

"Oh, well. It's too late now."

"Tara, we have hunters after us and we're trying to find the Alpha--we can't have the cops showing up here again, seeing that you're here and not at school when we've already been warned."

"What are you so worried about?" I asked. "It's not like they can do anything without me coming back."

"Well, I would like to just skip that part."

"Shh," I said, listening to the outside as I heard a vehicle pull up to the house--the sound that I had been expecting to hear all day.

It didn't take long before both me and Derek were hidden in seperate parts of the house. I looked out the window as a deputy got out of his car, shutting the door and walking around it, getting out the radio. "Looks pretty deserted, dispatch. Uh, do you want me to take a look inside?"

"Unit 16, county property. Order's to make sure it's vacant."

"I don't--I don't think anyone's home."

"For the love of God, 16, go inside and see if anyone's in there."

"Copy that."

As the deputy stepped forward, his guard dog barked, and I knew that I didn't have to disappear again. "Don't do that," the deputy said.

As he stepped even closer to the house, I could tell that the dog was looking at me, and I tilted my head forward, eyes glowing blue to make him go pretty much insane with barks, like 50 times in a row before he whined, sticking his head through the cracked open window, telling his owner to get the hell out of there.

"Okay," he said, backing away to his car. "I'm coming. I'm coming."

He ran to his car, jumping in and pulling away, and I knew Derek was behind me before he even said, "Next time the cops won't have a guard dog with them."

"I don't care," I said, turning around and walked around him while he looked out of the broken window.

"I know you can hear me," we heard from outside. Scott. "I need your help."

Derek was going downstairs, opening the door and walking out, shutting it while I sat on the steps, listening to them outside. "Okay, I--I know I was apart of you getting arrested, and that we basically announced you and your sister being here to the hunters, I also don't know what happened to your other sister. But I think I did something last night. I had a dream about--someone, but someone else got hurt. And it turns out that part of the dream might have actually happened."