We Meet Mothers

IDINA

I climb through Riley's window to see her and Maya sitting there excitedly.

"Happy day off from school!" Riley shouts, "You excited? Looking forward to anything?"

"Just hanging out with y'all," I reply adjusting myself into a sitting position and sighing, "And, if you're like me, you can look forward to your mother forgetting your off school."

"Oh, no she did not!" they shout before starting to crawl out the window. I grab Riley's belt and Maya's jacket to stop them.

"Where are you goin', honey's?"

"Must talk to your mom," Riley impatiently whines.

"Must not get involved," I say pulling them back in

"Why do you tell us these things if you don't expect us to try and fix them?" Maya asks annoyed.

"When you're 15, you'll understand."

"How could your mother forget your off school Idina? How could she not be waiting at the table for you with a fresh plate of waffles?" Riley asks.

"I've stopped trying to figure it out. She was already gone when I woke up this morning. Wasn't even there to give me breakfast or say good morning.  She probably took an early shift at the clinic."

"Rather than be there for you?"

"I mean I sorta get it, heck, my mom even forgot my own birthday, but your mom seems so nice Idina, I just assumed she was better than that."

"Okay, I'm done with this," I shout, going towards the door. As we walk into the kitchen we see Eric talking to Cory.

"Are you really here?" Riley asks.

"Yep," Eric replies, "I'm here." he makes my heart skip a beat and a smile creep.

"Uncle Eric!" Riley shouts hugging him.

"Niche!" he shouts back then once their finished hugging comes to hug me, "Hey Idina."

"Hey, Eric," I feel stupid for trying to act cool around him.

"We have no school today. Squeeze her good!" Riley adds.

"Oh, well have some fun kiddo. You doing something special?" he asks.

"This is it,"

"Well that's no fun,"

"Hey, with this one, you never know what kinda trouble you might get into," I say pointing to Maya.

"She means me, right here."

"Yes, the troublemaker, the goody-two-shoes, and the geeky old soul. The three Musketeers of eighth grade!" Riley announces with Maya and I standing behind her in heroic poses.

"Eric why you here? Not that I don't love a visit from my brother!" Cory asks.

"Just thought I'd say hi to my family. In politics, they say your family always keeps you grounded."

"Who said that?" Maya asks.

"No idea," he says turning to her, making us laugh a little.

"Wait a minute. Who let you in?" Topanga asks having just walked through the door a few minutes ago.

"I have a key," he waves it around proudly.

"You gave him a key?"

"Fine, I'll give you a key."

"You love me!"

"I do love you. You have the key to my heart," and with that Cory grabs one of the grocery bags from his wife, and helps her to the kitchen to put them away.