We Meet Conscience

IDINA

I chop down on my waffles and ruffle Auggie's hair as Maya runs into the Matthews apartment.

"Thanks again for feeding me Topanga, my mom really appreciates it," I reply with a mouthful of waffles.

"No problem Idina. We love having you here. And tell Nicole I say hi, hopefully, we can get together soon."

"I think she'd like that very much," I smile. Maya is pacing

"All right, weirdos. Listen up and listen up good. I got like a minute before he walks through the door."

"Who's coming through the door, Maya?" Riley asks from next to Maya, and both of them sit across from me.

"Your Uncle Boing!"

"Oh, Maya, you've got to get off of this," Riley rolls her eyes.

"I think it's nice to have feelings for someone," I contradict.

"Yeah, and the reason he's not interested is because I've been playing it all wrong. See, my strategy of turning into a total nut job at the mere sight of him ain't working out as planned."

"Maya, it's nothing you're doing. It's the age difference," Riley replies.

"Three years older. Your dad married your mom. He's like 20 years older."

"We're exactly the same age," Cory says.

"What?" Riley screams.

"I just need to be casual. How's this?" She puts her feet up on the table and leans back.

"Yeah, how's this?" Topanga pushes them off as Josh walks in through the unlocked door.

"Hey, family, and friends of the family."

"Josh," I reply, and we do our handshake, a high five that turns into a hug.

"Yeah, hi. I don't care," Maya twirls her hair.

"My brother!" Josh screams.

"My brother!" Cory shouts as they hug each other. Josh sits down next to me.

"So, Riley, Idina, shouldn't we be like heading to school now, since there's nothing here for me of any interest?" Maya asks.

"Sure. Let's go Peaches," I reply standing and adjusting my maroon jacket over my pastel dress, I mess up Josh's hair, "Bye Josh," I say with a chuckle. He laughs.

"Think she'll make it out the door?" I whisper to Riley as we walk a little behind Maya. Josh stands in the middle of the living room.

"I give her 10 seconds before she jumps on his head."

"I came up here because I wanted to do this in front of all of you. I hold in my hand an envelope from New York University," Josh says. Maya abruptly stops, making Riley run into her, and I run into Riley.

"Ahh. Are we stopping?" Riley asks.

"I'm not stopping. I'm resting."

"What's in this envelope tells me where I'm gonna be for the next four years," Josh continues.

"Ohh. Are we stopping again?" I ask.

"I'm not as young as I used to be."

"Good luck, Josh," Riley says.

"I hope it goes your way," I add.

"Yeah, hi. I don't care," Maya says as we walk out the door.

"And in five, four, three, two-" I point to Maya as she pushes the door back open and she jumps on Josh's back as Riley and I run back in after her.