Chapter 16: Andy's Past Returned

Elizabeth drove us home from the hospital. We both charged into the house to talk to Ben about the murders taking place in the supposedly quiet town in the middle of nowhere.

"Dad!" Elizabeth yelled the second we passed the threshold.

"In here," he called from the living room.

We walked in to find him sitting there, waiting patiently for us.

"We need to talk," Elizabeth started.

"I know. Marshall Gardner called and said to get here as fast as I could, that you girls needed protection," he stated, "Someone want to fill me in?"

So we filled him in. Every detail about the murders. Everything Andy told me about what Frank had said. Every theory we could come up with about Jason. It was like once I started talking, I just had to spill my guts on every secret.

The last thing we discussed was the theory of Jason having brought multiple killers into town with him.

"If you are right, how could he have tracked down people who the FBI have been hunted for years in only a matter of a few weeks?" Ben asked.

"I wasn't planning on asking him when he shows his face again," I assured.

"What are we going to do?" Elizabeth's voice cut through our thoughts.

"Exactly what Sarah told Silver, act normal. Follow the normal routine," he looked down at his watch, "which on that account means you two need to go to school right about now. Don't worry, there are U.S. Marshalls crawling all over campus. You two should be completely safe there."

"What about everyone else?" I asked, "We may be safe there, but when the kids leave, they aren't going to be protected. He is coming after everyone I'm close to."

"All of your friends are in the program, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to them about what's coming. It's only fair for them to be given the chance to protect themselves," Ben said.

"When did you get so wise," Elizabeth joked while ruffling his greying hair.

"Comes with age," he smiled.

"Alright, we'll tell them," I promised, then a thought entered my mind, "What about those not in the program?"

"You can't tell him, Silver," Elizabeth said, knowing exactly what I was asking.

"Doesn't he deserve a chance too?"

"Not if it means putting everyone else in danger with him having that information. Right now, him being in the dark will keep him safe from those looking at him."

"He is in danger just by being close to me. He needs to know what that danger is to protect himself," I argued, "If I don't tell him, how do I keep him safe?"

She looked down for a second, "I think we both know what you have to do," she paused before continuing, "You can't be with him."

Her words stung, much more than they should have. He was the first guy I had grown close to in a very long time. He made me laugh. He knew how to get me out of my own head, and now I had to let him go.

"Alright," I whispered, "If it will keep him safe."

Elizabeth watched me with sad eyes as we both headed upstairs to prepare for school in the morning, yet somehow I knew, no preparation would be enough for me to be ready to walk away from Dylan.

*****

It had been two weeks since the day Andy was attacked. I hadn't seen Jason since then. Not a single person has gone missing, and no new bodies had been discovered.